What are Sporting Excellence Scholarships?
If you are a
University of Plymouth student studying a full-time degree level course whilst competing at an international level in a water based sport, such as swimming or sailing, you may be eligible to apply for one of our Sporting Excellence Scholarships. There are five awards of £800 available per scholar per year.
Applicants must meet our shortlisting criteria, and successful scholars are determined by a shortlisting panel based on the information and evidence provided in written applications. Students must re-apply annually.
If you are an international student who requires a Tier 4 visa please read our information regarding working restrictions on a Tier 4 visa. It is not usually possible for Tier 4 visa holders to apply for these scholarships due to these restrictions.
- Achieving a top three finish at an international event.
- A world/international ranking (county rankings do not apply).
- Selected by the respective National Governing Body to represent their country e.g. GB training camps.
- Podium potential athletes or on route to be.
- Have the ability to compete at the top competitive level e.g. Olympic or Paralympic Games.
- Exceptional athlete that have already represented their country at an international level.
- Supporting letter from Governing body.
How to apply
Our Sporting Excellence Scholarships inspire and enable you to achieve your sporting goals alongside your academic studies.
To apply for a Sporting Excellence Scholarship, please complete the application form, submitting with a sports portfolio (including media coverage and past achievements) plus a letter of support from your National Governing Body to:
Sporting Excellence Scholarships,
University of Plymouth,
Applications for Sporting Excellence scholarships with the University of Plymouth must be submitted by:
Monday 2 March 2020 (outcome will be confirmed in early April)
Successful applicants will be awarded funds in November 2020.
“I chose the Navigation and Maritime Science course at Plymouth when I was 15 years old as the course content would help me in my sailing theory and provide me with a good level of education. The opportunity to study for a degree in a location known for its maritime history where I can sail and where my talents are recognised made Plymouth the ultimate choice for me.”
Previous Sporting Excellence Scholar: Lorenzo Chiavarini