There are many reasons to choose postgraduate study. A postgraduate qualification can improve your career prospects, enable you to specialise in a certain field, and advance your knowledge in a subject that has inspired you at undergraduate level.
Plymouth has a vibrant community of postgraduate students, who benefit from our innovative approach, world leading expertise, and multimillion-pound facilities. Our close collaboration with employers helps to ensure Plymouth graduates are equipped with the most relevant knowledge and skills to be competitive in the workplace. Whether you are interested in a taught master’s programme, or choose to undertake a research degree or professional doctorate, our internationally-renowned staff will be on hand to support and supervise you throughout your next steps of academia.
Find out about our postgraduate opportunities, we hope you'll be inspired.
Five reasons to choose Plymouth for postgraduate study
1. We have committed to over £300-million recent and ongoing investment in new buildings, on-campus student accommodation and refurbished laboratories and library. Our library now provides access to 500,000 books and multimedia resources, 22,000 journals and many international resources.
2. We are a top modern university according to the 2016 Times Higher Education '150 under 50' rankings, ranked 5th in the UK and 59th in the world.
3. 87 per cent of our postgraduate students are employed within six months of completing their studies with us.
4. A top 50 UK university in terms of research power, with nearly two-thirds of research graded as world-leading or of international quality in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
5. We have secured funding for a £10-million business support programme to further the expansion of business in the South West, allowing us to collaborate with and encourage our enterprising students.
Celia Burnham - PGCE Primary (Early Years) graduate
I would recommend Plymouth University because it has a very supportive learning environment and gives you a thorough grounding in the skills you will need to succeed in the job market.Read Celia's profile
Joseph Greene - MSc Coastal Engineering graduate
The MSc gave me a good grounding in the fundamentals of coastal engineering and an understanding of many of the main avenues to venture down, such as port and harbour design, coastal protection design and physical and numerical wave modelling.Find out more about Joseph's experience
As part of a new government funded masters loan scheme, masters students who are under the age of 60 can now access a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards the cost of their study.
The loans will be available for both taught and research masters programmes across all disciplines and subject areas.
Postgraduate and professional open evenings
Visit Plymouth to find out about the range of postgraduate and professional development opportunities for you.
Academic and professional staff are available to answer your questions and give advice, guidance and information about your programmes and courses.Find out more about our postgraduate and professional open evenings
Postgraduate research with the Graduate School
We can help you with any questions you might have about postgraduate research with Plymouth University - whether you'd like to apply to join us or are already studying with us.
Find out all you need to know about research degrees at Plymouth University, from enquiries to receiving your award.Learn more about the Graduate School
Postgraduate student blogs
Our postgraduate student blogs give you an insight into what it is really like to be a postgraduate student with Plymouth University.Read more about Ian Tan, who is currently studying MArch Architecture.
Plymouth - city of culture
Plymouth culture is: vibrant, creative, cosmopolitan, international, historic, inspirational...
Life with Plymouth University
Live and learn with Plymouth University.