Brexit advice for students

Frequently asked questions for current and prospective University of Plymouth students

Now that the UK has confirmed it is leaving the EU with the passing of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, we have compiled the following advice based on guidance from official and trusted sources including the UK Government, British Council and Universities UK. As an internationally focused university, we remain fully committed to supporting our community. Our mission remains to transform lives through education and research, and to offer our students the best experience possible. We hope you find this useful and will keep these pages updated as further clarity emerges on some of the outstanding matters.

I’m a current EU/EEA student, will I still be able to study here?

Yes. The Government has confirmed there’s to be no immediate changes to the immigration status of EU/EEA students who are already studying here or who arrive before the end of the Brexit transition period which is currently 31 December 2020 and will be able to apply for ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme. This opened on 30 March 2019 and will remain so until 30 June 2021.

I’m an EU/EEA student who is planning to come to Plymouth to study next year – what does this mean for me?

Any EU/EEA students who arrive to study in the UK before the end of the UK Government’s Brexit transition period on 31 December 2020 can apply to study in the UK as normal as there won’t be any change to immigration status of EU students before this time. EU Students already in the UK or arriving by 31 December 2020 and wishing to stay longer are able to apply for ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme. The scheme is open for applications until 30 June 2021.

What will happen once I graduate, can I stay in the UK?

EU/EEA students who already live in the UK, or who arrive by 31 December 2020, will be able to apply for ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme. ‘Pre-settled’ means you apply to stay in the UK for the five years it takes to build up settled status - but you must apply again and get settled status if you want to stay here for longer than that. Once you have settled status, you can stay in the UK to live, work or study as long as you wish under current legislation. The scheme is open for applications until 30 June 2021.

Once the UK leaves the EU, will EU/EEA students have higher fees?

Current EU/EEA students and those starting in or before the 2020-2021 academic year will continue to pay the same amount in tuition as they do now, which is the same as for UK (home) students, and this applies for the duration of your course. However, the fees that EU/EEA students starting courses in the 2021-22 academic year following the agreed transition period (currently 31 December 2020) are required to pay will depend on what is agreed as part of the UK's exit negotiations. See for currently up-to-date fees and funding information.

Will EU/EEA students continue to be eligible to receive loans and grants?

Existing EU/EEA students and those commencing studies with us in or before the 2020-21 academic year will continue to be eligible to receive currently applicable loans/grants for the full duration of their course. See for currently up-to-date fees and funding information.

What is going to happen to the Erasmus+ exchange programme?

UK universities will be able to continue to take part in the Erasmus+ exchange programme until it ends. This should allow staff and students to complete mobility periods and receive funding through the Erasmus+ programme until the end of the academic year 2020/21. The UK Government has committed to negotiating access to the Erasmus+ successor programme due to start in 2021. Find out more about Erasmus+ and Brexit.

How will Brexit affect field trips and other overseas opportunities associated with my course?

According to the UK Government, current travel arrangements will stay the same until at least 31 December 2020. You will not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time. Therefore field trips and other such overseas opportunities should not be impacted. Read the latest full UK Government travel guidance.

Where can I go in the University for further guidance and support related to how Brexit may impact me or my studies?

Student Hub in the entry level of the Charles Seale Hayne Library – +44 1752 587676 or email

This information is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Whilst carefully checked and designed to be helpful, it is a guide only and must be used in conjunction with the official Government advice on the website.