Brexit advice for staff

Frequently asked questions for University of Plymouth staff

I am a current EU/EEA staff member or am interested in applying for a job here in the future – what are my options?

The transition period for Brexit ended on 31 December 2020. EU/EEA colleagues who resided in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and are wishing to stay in the UK can apply for ‘pre-settled’ or ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme. This allows EU/EEA citizens to live, work and study in the UK for as long as they like under current immigration rules. The settlement scheme opened on 30 March 2019 and will remain so until 30 June 2021.

How this works is that EU/EEA citizens who have already been in the UK for five years and can evidence that will be granted ‘settled status’. EU citizens who have been in the UK for fewer than five years will be granted ‘pre-settled’ status until they reach the five-year residency requirement. Those EU/EEA nationals with permanent residence will be able to convert their permanent residence status into the new settled status free of charge, subject only to verification of identity, a criminality and security check and proof of ongoing residence.

Any EU/EEA citizens arriving in the UK after 1 January 2021 will need to apply for the appropriate right to work visa before entering the UK. The Home Office is currently rolling out its ‘Points Based Visa’ and it is anticipated that highly skilled workers will be able to apply for this visa from January 2021 onwards, although we are still awaiting final confirmation of this.

What University support is available to current EU/EEA staff?

For those wishing for additional support during their ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status application, please contact Ashleigh Sharpe, Team Leader (Contracts), on 01752 (5)88227 or Please note that we are currently unable to offer any face to face sessions at this time. 

Please note that the University is unable to give individual legal or financial advice to employees regarding their options for applying for ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status. We would recommend that employees seek independent legal/financial advice as appropriate.

What is the impact on EU research funding for Universities like Plymouth?

If staff have any specific queries about their EU funded research projects and their eligibility for any EU funding then they should contact

Other helpful and up-to-date external resources include the relevant sections on the UK Government and UK Research Office websites.

How will Brexit affect overseas work travel?

According to the UK Government, current travel arrangements will stay the same until at least 31 December 2020. You will not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time. Therefore field trips and other such overseas activities should not be impacted. Read the UK Government latest travel advice.

Where can I go for further guidance and support?

Further details on the EU settlement scheme and guidance can be found on the HR staff intranet pages. If you wish to speak with a member of HR, please telephone 01752 (5)88186 or email

Useful links

This information is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Whilst carefully checked and designed to be helpful, it is a guide only and must be used in conjunction with the official Government advice on the website.