Support services

Coming back to study at university will probably require changes in your life and generate plenty of questions. From financial advice to maths or study skills support, you'll find a comprehensive range of academic and personal support services via the University.

You can talk to us

As well as administering the Financial Support Fund, the Student Funding unit can give you specialist advice on the financial support available while you're at university. They work closely with the University of Plymouth Students’ Union Support and Advice Centre (UPSU:Advice) who can help you with a range of enquiries, such as student funding, benefits, tax credits and getting support if you have existing debts.

Financing your studies: support from the government

As a mature student, you're likely to have more commitments to consider when going to university. You may also be sacrificing an income. The majority of eligible (UK, Home) students are funded by Student Finance England and can apply for two student loans to cover:

  • tuition fees
  • living costs.

In addition you can apply for a living cost grant, grants for dependants and childcare and disabled students’ allowances. 

The GOV.UK student finance webpages provide a complete guide to how you'll be funded. Plus the Mature Student Finance Guide from provides reassuring insights into how you'll be funded, as well as how the assessment and repayment of your student loans will work.


If you receive benefits, your situation is likely to change as eligibility is limited to single parents, disabled students and partners of students, however your student income will be taken into account. If this affects you, get in touch with Jobcentre Plus or UPSU:Advice, who have qualified Benefits Advisors to take you through your possible entitlements as a student.

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

As a full-time student, you won't be counted for Council Tax purposes. That means you could have your bill reduced by 25 per cent if you are one of two adults in your property, or even receive a complete exemption if you're the only adult resident.

How we can support you

Need more information about funding, learning development, disability support or childcare?

To find out more about the variety of services and support on offer at Plymouth University, take a look at our student life webpages.

Student life