Results guidance: IA – Interrupted studies temporarily, enrolment permitted

Find out more about an IA results code with the Doctoral College.

You have interrupted your studies and undertook taught modules during the academic year.

For more detail to accompany the brief points below, please read about your results, how to find them, and what they mean.

Confirmation of marks
You have been awarded the credits as shown on your transcript. Please see the above link for a detailed explanation of the policies and procedures leading to the publication of your results.

If you wish to appeal against the decision of the Award Assessment Board, you will need to do so 10 working days after publication. Please check our appeal deadlines page for more information.

Extenuating circumstances
If you have submitted valid extenuating circumstances during the year, these will have been considered by the Award Assessment Board.

If you have passed a module but have valid EC’s for non-submission of an assessment, you may request a same attempt referral by emailing the Doctoral College. Please be aware that any referral will be in the entire element; as such your marks may go down as well as up. Marks already achieved for that element will be overwritten. The deadline for requesting a referral attempt is Monday 26 July 2021.

Outstanding debts
If you have any outstanding debts with the University, you may be unable to continue with your studies. Please contact Finance and Sustainability on 01752 588130 or email

Enrolment for next year
To continue with your studies over the next academic year, you must complete the online enrolment process. Doctoral College will contact you over the summer with further information.


If you do not wish to continue your studies over the next academic year, you may:

Interrupt your studies further
Interruption of studies means taking some time out from your studies but remaining registered on your programme. Subject to a ‘maximum period of registration’, you could later resume your studies. To discuss this option, please contact the Doctoral College.

Withdraw from your studies
If you withdraw, you will cease being a student at the University of Plymouth and would need to re-apply if you decided to study at the University in future.

If you wish to withdraw or interrupt your studies you can find further information on student regulations, policies and procedures under general academic procedures and submit a request via GradBook.

If you withdraw from your studies, please note the following:

New transcript
A new transcript will be available confirming that we have amended your records.

All students can download or print a copy of their eTranscript which includes results of all years of study on their current programme.

The exams and awards office can provide copies of transcripts. This will incur a cost per transcript and should be ordered from the estore.

Graduation Ceremony
If you become entitled to an award upon withdrawal, you may be eligible to attend your school’s graduation ceremony. Subject to the lifting of restrictions, graduation is scheduled 20 – 25 September 2021. You will receive an email when booking is due to open. Read about graduation ceremonies for further details.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Doctoral College.