Results guidance: A3

Find out more about an A3 results code

You have not yet passed all of your modules.

You may progress to the next stage but must complete extended referral assessment.

Please take a careful look at your transcript. View a key to the codes.

A three-letter code beginning with E next to one or more elements is a referral code which means you must complete further assessment in that element for the corresponding module. An element is coursework, examination, practice, in-class test or pass/fail assessment. The other two letters indicate whether the exceptional referral is as a S same or N next attempt and how the element will be reassessed.

Here are some examples:

ENC against coursework means that you have been referred in that coursework and must complete reassessment by coursework and this would be regarded as your next attempt.

ESC against coursework means that you have been referred in that coursework and must complete reassessment by coursework and this would be regarded as the same attempt.

Instructions for your referral work will follow very shortly by email. Please ensure that you check your Plymouth University email address regularly. In the event of you failing your referral work, you may be unable to achieve your award. It is extremely important that you ensure that we receive your completed work by 15:00 on 9 December 2021.

You can request to repeat all of the modules you have yet to pass over the next academic year instead of completing extended referrals in them. It is very important that you understand the full implications of doing this and any costs involved. If you are considering doing this, please contact your faculty office before 21 September 2021.

If you are unsure of anything or think that you will not be able to complete your work on time, please contact your faculty urgently.

Results of your referral

The provisional result of your referral will be available in your online Statement of Results within 20 working days of the deadline. Your referral result will be published in January 2022.

Confirmation of marks

You have been awarded the credits as shown on your transcript. please read about your results, how to find them, and what they mean.


If you wish to appeal against the decision of the Award Assessment Board, you will need to do so 10 working days after publication. Please check our appeal deadlines page for more information.

Extenuating circumstances

If you have submitted valid extenuating circumstances during the year, these will have been considered by the Award Assessment Board.

Outstanding debts

If you have any outstanding debts with the University, you may be unable to continue with your studies. Please contact Finance and Sustainability on 01752 588130 or email

Enrolment for next year

To continue with your studies over the next academic year, you must complete the online enrolment process. Online enrolment opens Monday 2 August 2021.

If you do not wish to continue your studies over the next academic year, you may:

Interrupt your studies

Interruption of studies means taking a year or more out from your studies but remaining registered on your programme. Subject to a ‘maximum period of registration’, you could later resume your studies. To discuss this option, please contact your faculty or the Doctoral College.

Withdraw from your studies

If you withdraw, you will cease being a student at the University of Plymouth and would need to re-apply if you decided to study at the University in future.

If you wish to withdraw or suspend your studies you can find the form and further information on our withdrawing or suspending study page.

If you withdraw from your studies, please note the following:

New transcript

A new transcript will be available confirming that we have amended your records.

All students can download or print a copy of their eTranscript which includes results of all years of study on their current programme.

The exams and awards office can provide copies of transcripts. This will incur a cost per transcript and should be ordered from the estore.

Graduation Ceremony

If you become entitled to an award upon withdrawal, you may be eligible to attend your school’s graduation ceremony. Graduation is scheduled 20 – 25 September 2021. You will receive an email when booking is due to open. Read about graduation ceremonies for further details.

If you have any further questions, please contact your faculty or the Doctoral College.