The Research Degrees Handbook is currently undergoing revisions. Please refer to the Student regulations, policies and procedures web page.
The handbook provides information in the following areas:
- Researcher Development Programme
- starting a research degree programme
- the candidate/supervisor relationship
- confirmation of route
- research training
- monitoring of progress
- failure to progress
- amendments to registration
- presentation and submission of the thesis
- examination and outcome of examination
- Posthumous degree and Aegrotat award
- problems and queries
- complaints procedure for research degree candidates
- appeals against academic decisions
- minimum benchmark facilities for postgraduate research students
- notes of guidance for examiners
- the roles and responsibilities of chairs at viva voce examinations
- QAA framework for higher education qualifications.
For information on the University's policy on research degree students teaching, please see the section on postgraduate teaching here in the Teaching and learning handbook.