Your goal at the end of your undergraduate studies may be to get a graduate job, set up your own business, work freelance or to enter further study. Now is the time to really challenge yourself to succeed. This will involve you executing your plan, competing with other people to succeed in achieving your plan, and making a successful transition into a competent professional.
We are here to help you to navigate every step of your journey, but especially now and right through to beyond your graduation.
Challenge yourself to succeed by...
- Remembering that many graduate schemes open at the start of and sometimes even before the first semester, so keep a close eye out for closing dates and start your applications early in the year. The Careers & Employability Hub is open right throughout the summer break, so keep in touch with us and we can help you get ahead of the game
- Thoroughly researching the companies that you're going to apply to – Career Navigator has a great employers directory, so does Glassdoor so there is no excuse for sending off an application form that is not informed by your research or for turning up at a job interview not knowing much about the employer who is about to interview you
To challenge yourself to succeed we recommend that you…
- Register with our graduate recruitment agency in the Job Shop so that you can get information about graduate vacancies. (Facebook - PlymouthUniGraduates)
- Book into the Accelerate workshops around application forms, assessment centres, giving presentations and performing at interview
- Book an appointment with a Careers Adviser to review your career plans, to make sure that you are on the right path and that you have a strong backup plan in case you don’t get into your dream job. We can help you to plan the specific steps you'll need to take to get in to your chosen career. Get advice about the time frames involved so that your plans are manageable and you don’t miss important opportunities and deadlines. Don’t worry if you have no idea what you want to do, even at this stage – you won’t be the only one – we can help you to decide and suggest the steps that you need to take to get the job that you want
- Attend postgraduate information days and events to see if further study is for you
- Attend the Autumn careers fairs to find graduate opportunities
- Refresh your networks by attending our employer networking evenings
- Join our Alumni network
- Stay in touch by following us on Twitter and Facebook
- Create a CV and get it checked by one of our advisers in the Careers & Employability Hub. Career Navigator has loads of examples and formats for CVs and our Accelerate workshops are interactive so you'll be able to ask questions and look at some example CVs
- Apply for opportunities – making sure that you do not leave it too late and that you don’t miss key closing dates.