Stage 1 and 2 support and final year support (specific)
Main topics of interest or concern - stage 1 and 2:
- consistency of presence from careers staff throughout degree programme
- embedding careers into module choice decisions
- support on shorter work placements and internships.
Suggestions for improvement
Consistency of presence from careers staff throughout degree programme:
- multiple visits throughout the year from careers advisers and sessions across ALL stages and ALL programmes
- increased presence in Induction Week with each stage (not just stage 1).
Embedding careers into module choice decisions:
- English have module leader coming into stage and delivering session that also links to careers. It would be great to link this with module-specific careers adviser sessions: “How will this module help make me employable/help with careers?”
- re-engaging placement returners who may think that they don’t need the service having had industry experience, through module choice and more generally, would help those people engage
- industry specific and alumni talks, programme/sector specific careers fairs.
Support on shorter work placements and internships:
- would like to see a focus on summer internships to cater for those who can’t commit to the full placement programme
- we can promote the value of placements by using student case studies and more alumni talks.
Would like to see:
- education discussed the need for CAs to highlight the value of utilising Wednesday afternoons for volunteering in schools early in their degree programme
- really pushing careers from stage 1 with realistic advice about time management and thinking about what you should be doing at each stage
- professional skills development sessions (Excel etc)
- more consistent promotion on the value of getting experience early on so that you can make changes/reassess career choices throughout the degree programme.
- Accelerate workshops very good
- career fairs good
- CV checking is very good (stage 2 mostly) and useful for placement applications
- students working open day- very positive that there was careers content in welcome talks and that the CES service is open for business on the open day.