Hospitality, tourism, cruise and events placements
You have the option of spending your third year in an industrial placement, which leads to an additional award, the 'Certificate of Professional Experience' or the 'Certificate of International Professional Experience'.
The aims of a placement are:
- to prepare you for your final stage studies through a placement in a relevant business function and help you make an informed career choice when you graduate;
- to give you an appreciation of the business environment through hands-on experience;
- to give you opportunities to take what you've learned in the classroom out into the wider world.
A placement year is a great opportunity to gain real-world experience in your chosen area. While you’re putting your learning into practice, you’ll pick up a whole range of employability skills.
What's in it for me?
- Employers are more likely to favour graduates with work experience.
- A placement will open the door to graduate opportunities. Employers regularly choose previous placement students for their graduate schemes.
- Improve your degree results.
- Get a taste of your chosen career.
- All placements we advertise are paid.
- Take the chance to work abroad.
Students have completed placements with the following organisations:
- Hilton Worldwide
- Celebrity Cruises
- Red Carnation Hotels
- Best Parties Ever
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- Global Infusion Group
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- Accomplished Events
- Newquay Hotels Group
- The Captain's House Inn, USA
- Plus many more...
Meet your Placements team!
Remy, Sam and Char are here to support you throughout your placement.
If you are on campus, you can arrange a one-to-one appointment or by coming to our term-time only drop-in sessions.
Our drop-ins during term time are between 10-12pm every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in The Hub and every Wednesday in Cookworthy 111.
The world is your oyster and students have had the opportunity to complete their placements in a variety of international locations:
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- South America
- Plus many more...
(Photo courtesy of Placement Year International)
BSc (Hons) Tourism and Hospitality Management
'Recently I received the most influential lifetime experience working with the global organisation, Hilton Worldwide. After six months of working within the company I was awarded the 'Team Member of the Quarter Award'.
Hear more about Karolina's placement experience, the skills she gained and how this opportunity has shaped her future career aspirations.