Transitions and change

International Student Advice (ISA)

ISA provides specialist services and guidance if you're an international student studying at University of Plymouth.
Find out about immigration services, culture shock, money advice, council tax, general academic queries, health, living in the UK and personal issues.
BSc (Hons) Politics with International Relations

International students in Plymouth

International students from the University of Plymouth talk about their experiences in this Go Study Abroad video. 

TEDx talk: A History of Homesickness

A historian of the emotions, Susan Matt will explore and explain the loneliness of leaving "home", whether it's to relocate halfway around the world or to move to university.
<p>moving to university</p>

An introvert’s guide to surviving freshers’ week

Freshers’ Week isn’t actually as daunting as it sounds – even for introverts. While certain events and parties are held with extroverts in mind, there are actually a number of fantastic opportunities designed for introverts too
Freshers video
Mature students at a University welcome event

What it’s like to feel lonely

It’s scary to reach out to people. But sometimes saying just hi is the best thing you can do.

What to do if you are feeling actively suicidal when usual services may be closed:

If you are about to harm yourself or have already done so, phone 999 or immediately go to the Emergency Department at your local hospital. 

There is a university mental health advisor on duty Monday–Thursday 9:00–17:00 and Friday 9:00–16:30. You can contact them by calling 01752 587676

You can also contact campus security 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have no immediate plans to harm yourself, the below services may be helpful:

Cann Woods in Plymouth
Drop-in sessions and support
University of Plymouth campus