Student support documents: information for staff

What is a Student Support Document (SSD)?

The Student Support Document provides information on Modified Assessment Provisions (MAPs) required for a student whilst studying at the University of Plymouth. In order to process this document, the student would need to provide medical evidence or their SpLD report and sign our disclosure form, which will allow us to share this information with University staff who have a need to know.

Who produces the SSD?

This document is produced by Disability Services as result of the student providing medical evidence to Disability Services and discussing exam provision arrangements options with the Disability Services team.

With the student signed agreement, the document is sent to a nominated central point within each faculty for distribution. This will include academic teaching staff as well as administrative staff. Please contact your faculty office for further details.

What information you will find in the SSD?

The SSD will have the student’s name, Student Reference Number, course details and disability/condition. There is also a section for additional notes where the Disability Advisor may have also included information which is relevant for the student and Faculty teaching and administrative staff to know.

Please note that Modified Assessment Provisions (MAPs) do not appear in the main timetable and individual timetables are sent to the students separately via email to their student email.

Who needs to see this document?

  • Programme Leaders 
  • Module Leader
  • Stage Tutors
  • Personal Tutors 
  • Teaching Staff 
  • Laboratory Technicians
  • Placement Tutors 
  • Faculty Administrative Staff 
  • Fieldtrip Leaders

SSD flowchart – TBC

Student guide to modified assessment provision

Information about exams

Frequently asked questions

What do students need to provide to Disability Services if exam provisions are arrangements are required?

(*) If you require exam provision arrangements, you need to provide Disability Services with the following documents:

  • For students with a medical condition, we will need medical evidence explaining and/or confirming your condition.
  • For students with Specific Learning Difficulties i.e. dyslexia, dyspraxia we will need a full diagnosis report (ideally post-16).

We will accept a report from age 14 years for exam provision purposes only (**). In this case we will need a letter or document from your school or college indicating that you have had examination provisions from the age of 14 upwards because of an SpLD (dyslexia / dyspraxia etc). Reference to a diagnosis must be made on this document and it will be checked by the Disability Service team if it is sufficient evidence.

If you would like to find out about how to be assessed for dyslexia you can find an information on local SpLD assessors form the Student Services Hub. If you are unsure on whether or not you should have this assessment done, you can fill in our dyslexia checklist form (copies available from the Student Services Hub). You can also do the online screening test and if required, you can book to see one of our SpLD Disability Advisors or pop into our drop in sessions on Thursdays from 12:00–13:00, to discuss the results of your tests.

  • For students with ADHD/ ADD we need a post-16 diagnosis report. If you don’t have one, please book an appointment with a SpLD Disability Advisor.
  • For students with ASD, we need a copy of your medical evidence.

(*) if you are applying for the Disabled Student Allowance you are required to provide a post-16 SpLD diagnosis report.

(**) This information can be provided at Admissions stage.

How do I know what exam provision arrangements I need?

These arrangements will be discussed with a Disability Advisor or a Disability Services administrative member of staff on receipt of medical evidence.

You may have had exam provisions in the past, so we would try to accommodate the same or similar provisions here where possible.

The Examinations Scheduling will email you your Modified Assessment Provisions for your formal exams to your university email. If you no longer require them or you need to discuss different arrangements you need to contact Disability Services as soon as possible. Please note it may be not be possible to make changes that can be implemented for that exams at that stage, however they would be put in place for any further formal written exams and in-class tests.

What happens if I change course?

You need to contact Disability Services as soon as possible so we can update your SSD and forward it to your Faculty for them to distribute it to the relevant teaching staff.

Who makes the exam provision arrangements?

  • Formal Written Exams

The Examination Scheduling will implement the modified assessment provisions for formal written exams. Students will receive an email from the Exam Office confirming their exam date, time and room details as well as exam provision arrangements.

If you require to discuss different arrangements, the student needs to contact Disability Services.

  • In-class tests

In-class tests arrangements need to be made by the Faculty. Please discuss your exam provision requirements with your Module Leader and whether these are required for a particular test.

Modified Assessment Provisions (MAPs) relate to written examinations. They may not apply when the main emphasis of the exam is on the demonstration of competency in other skills, for example an assessment of clinical skills on a health professions course. It is important to speak to your faculty about this.

Temporary Injury / Pregnancy – exam provisions

If a student has suffered a temporary injury or undergone an operation and requires exam provisions, please direct them to the Student Services Hub so someone from Disability Services discusses Temporary Modified Assessment Provisions with the student. As this is not a long term condition Disability Services will not produce a Student Support Document. If it becomes a long term condition Disability Services would produce an SSD.

It is recommended that the student lets their faculty / module leader and personal tutor know, in case they have in-class test. Please note that by letting staff know at short notice from your formal exams or in-class test, exam provision arrangement may not be possible to be set up and the student may need to consider fit to sit the exam.

Please discuss the options with your personal tutor/ module leader and Disability Services.