Your career and working opportunities in the UK

Your career and working opportunities in the UK

Working part time during study, doing placements, internships and volunteering positions can significantly help you build new skills, make new contacts and apply your learning in a real-world, professional environment. There are lots of options available to international students who want to work during their studies or stay and work in the UK after their studies.

If you are a student with immigration permission and need clarification on what type of work you can or cannot do or how many hours you can work, you must contact our International Student Advice before taking up any employment.

Working part time during studies

Generally, if you are a Tier 4/Student visa holder you can work during term time for a maximum 20 hours per week during standard University semester dates and full time outside of these dates. The dates differ for undergraduate, postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students. Have a look at our Working in the UK during your studies with immigration permission for more detailed information.

Staying in the UK to work after studies

Have a look at our Visas for working after studies section as you may need to apply for a separate visa to your student visa. You can check whether you need a visa at UK Visas & Immigration. One visa which is particularly popular is the Graduate visa which provides an opportunity for international students who have been awarded their degree to stay in the UK and work, or look for work, at any skill level for 2 years, or 3 years for doctoral students.

Gaining work experience, looking and applying for work

We want you to secure a fulfilling and successful future when you graduate. To help you get there, we offer a comprehensive range of resources backed up with individual advice and guidance. You may already have some ideas about your future, or you may have no idea at all. Whatever your situation, we are here to help you explore, plan and compete for opportunities so that you can secure employment or further study after your course.

Have a look at our Careers Service for full information of the support and advice available including links for volunteering, becoming a student ambassador, mentoring, help with your CV (resume), placements and looking for graduate jobs….plus much more!

<p>Getty - 1132874986 -&nbsp;Cropped shot of a handsome young man working in a call center with a female colleague in the background</p>

Working in the UK during your studies with immigration permission

Getting a part time job during studies is great way to improve your language skills, gain experience, make friends and earn some extra money.
As an international student with immigration permission, you are likely to have restrictions on what type of work you can or cannot do and how many hours you can work.
Find out more information about working in the UK while you study
<p>Group of multi ethnic busy people working in an office.</p><p>Rawpixel/Shutterstock image</p>

How to contact the International Student Advice team

Call: +44 1752 587676
Talk to one of the ISA team via Zoom: chat with us live 09:30–10:30, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
We are also available for in-person sessions at the Student Hub in the Charles Seale-Hayne library on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 09:30–10:30 (no need to book).
student discussion