Visa advice for students currently outside the UK

Advice on the entry documents you'll need if you're a student coming to study at University of Plymouth and currently living outside the UK.

New Student Visa route

On 5 October 2020, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) introduced a new immigration system that includes a new Student Visa route. The Student Visa is replacing Tier 4 so, over the next few months, we will replace the term "Tier 4" where this is mentioned on our webpages and in documents, and will instead refer to the "Student Visa route".

We do not anticipate that there will be any significant changes in visa requirements for our current Tier 4 students, but we will advise students further once the full immigration rules for the new route are published and in use.

Your application as a Tier 4 (General) student

If you're currently outside the UK you'll need to apply in your home country. Find out more about how to submit your application and what documents you need. 

To apply for Tier 4 entry clearance from outside the UK you must:

  • hold an unconditional offer for a full-time course (or are a continuing student) at the University of Plymouth and have been issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • have applied for and received an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate, if your University of Plymouth course requires it (mostly PhD courses) — this can take several weeks so make sure you leave enough time
  • prove that you can pay for your course and living costs
  • show that at the time of completing your new course you won't have spent more than five years studying at degree level in the UK on a student visa (with exceptions for longer courses and PhD courses).

How much money will you need?

You must show that you have one year’s full tuition fees plus £1,015 per month for the remainder of your course for living costs (up to a maximum of nine months of your course = £9,135).

If you're a financially sponsored student, your sponsor must be officially recognised as such (e.g. British Council, a government, an international organisation or company, a university). If your sponsor is not meeting all your costs then you must provide proof that you have the remaining funds available.

Your tuition fees can either be held in your bank account for the 28 days required or you can pay them directly to the university. Your CAS can be updated with any additional fee payments you make if you inform the University.

Your family's immigration

If you're coming to study on a course of six months or less then your family dependants will not be able to accompany you. 

If you're coming to study a postgraduate degree course of 9 months or more then your family dependants will be able to come with you to the UK.

If you're government sponsored on a course of six months or more then your family dependants will be able to accompany you. 

Each of your dependants will have to show that they have at least £680 per month of your course (up to the maximum of nine months of your course = £6,120)

You and your family dependants will have to apply for entry clearance in your home country before travelling to the UK please see making your application.