Immigration and visas

Making sure you have the correct visa

Great news that you're coming to the University of Plymouth to study. The last thing you want is any hold-ups on your new adventure so you'll need to make sure you've got the correct visa in place to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Our Student Advisers are the only members of staff at the University of Plymouth authorised to give immigration advice to University of Plymouth students. They are regulated under OISC guidelines to give immigration advice which is offered free of charge and without discrimination.


The OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner) is an independent organisation that monitors immigration advice and services. The organisation also operates within the Code of Ethics for those advising international students devised by UKCISA: the UK Council for International Student Affairs and AISA: the Association of International Student Advisers.

Please read our Client Care Agreement for international students before receiving advice from the International Student Advice service.

Are you already in the UK?

If you're an international student coming to study at Plymouth and you're currently in the UK you will require specific documentation.

Find out more information about Tier 4

How much money will you need?

Visa application fee from 6 April 2018 onwards

Tier 4 and dependants Visa application fee
Outside the UK £348
Standard application in the UK £475
Priority application in the UK £952
Premium application in the UK £1,085

Required financial evidence for Tier 4

You must show that you have one year’s full tuition fees plus £1,015 per month for the remainder of your course for living costs (up to a maximum of nine months of your course = £9,135).

If you're a financially sponsored student, your sponsor must be officially recognised as such (e.g. British Council, a government, an international organisation or company, a university). If your sponsor is not meeting all your costs then you must provide proof that you have the remaining funds available.

Your tuition fees can either be held in your bank account for the 28 days required or you can pay them directly to the university. Your CAS can be updated with any additional fee payments you make if you inform the University.

Making your application

Passport? Offer letter? Financial evidence? Advice on the documents you'll need to submit your visa application and what to do when you receive it.

Find out more about the application process.

We're here to help

Unsure how to answer a question on the application? How much money you need? Or whether your documents are suitable? Then get in touch with us at ISA. We want your application to be successful.