EU Settlement Scheme: EU, EEA and Swiss Students

EU Settlement Scheme

The following information is applicable to you if you are a citizen of the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein.

If you are an Irish citizen, your right to live in the UK will not change after it has left the EU, you do not need to do anything to continue living in the UK.

What is this scheme?

You are probably aware that the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 with a transition period until 31 December 2020 (this may be extended), during which time negotiations for the future relationship will take place.

If you are living in the UK now, you and your eligible family members can remain doing so until 30 June 2021. However, after this date, you will need to have immigration permission if you wish to remain in the UK.

The EU settlement scheme is designed to offer you the opportunity to protect your residence in the UK to be able to continue to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK, as well as travel into and out of the UK. There will be no restrictions on study (where you study or what you study).

Do you have to apply?

If the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and EU becomes law and you will be in the UK beyond 31 December 2020, you will need to have immigration permission (either through the EU settlement scheme or through another category of the Immigration Rules as they will be from January 2021). Please note that those who enter the UK before 31 December 2020 will have until 30 June 2021 to apply under the scheme.

From 1 January 2021, a new immigration system will be in force and new arrivals from the EU who enter the UK after this date to live, work and/or study will need to obtain immigration permission before they travel. Details have yet to be confirmed.

Please note: if you have a permanent residence document, it will not be valid after 31 December 2020. To continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 you’ll need to either:

  • apply to the EU Settlement Scheme
  • apply for British citizenship

If you are still not sure, complete the online tool to see if you need to apply for EU Settlement.

How do you apply?

Eligible applicants can apply from inside or outside the UK.

There are usually just two steps:

1. ID Document Check

Upload the photo page of your passport and a photo of yourself using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app, currently available on most mobile phones. If you cannot load the app, check if you can use it on your phone here. We have a phone available to you if you have problems.

Once you’ve verified your identity, you can complete the rest of the application either on that device or any smartphone, laptop or computer.

2. Complete the free online EU Settlement Scheme application form

Your proof of identity, proof of residence (view documents required) and a criminal check will be carried out.

What immigration permission will I be granted?

If you have been a resident in the UK for more than five continuous years when you apply, you will be eligible for settled status immediately.

If you have been a resident for less than five years when you apply, you will be eligible for pre-settled status.​ When you reach the 5 years residency, you can apply to change from pre-settled status to settled status.

You will not be asked to choose which you’re applying for, this will be done automatically.

What will my new EU settlement permission look like?

Once you have completed the application, you will receive a certificate of application which will contain your application number.

You will not get a physical document unless you are a non-EU family member and don't already have a biometric residence document. ​

Once you have been granted pre-settled or settled status you can still access your application ‘portal’ and can change any of your information e.g. change of address.​ In the portal, you can click to share your status with an employer/ landlord who can then see your name, photo and status and your immigration status.

Further information

If you have any enquiries, please email Student Services or come to our international student advice drop in sessions Monday to Friday 9:30–11:00 in the Student Hub in the library.

We are also running an EU Settlement drop in information session on Wednesday 19 February in the Rolle building room 101, 15:00–16:00. No need to book in, just turn up.

Full details of the scheme, eligibility and process can be found on the Gov.Uk webpage

For information about course fees and funding to study you can find further details on the website.

Brexit advice

As you will no doubt be aware Britain is to leave the European Union.

There is no immediate change for the UK university sector and in particular, programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Erasmus+ will continue as normal.

Read more advice for current and prospective students