Terms and conditions
These terms and conditions apply to all bookings of University of Plymouth (referred to as the “University”) summer accommodation.
Please note that these terms and conditions apply to everybody staying in the accommodation.
Making a booking
Availability checks may be made by completing the University online enquiry form https://fs22.formsite.com/PlymouthUniversity/form8/index.html. If available an offer of accommodation will be sent within the next few days with payment and arrival instructions. To secure your booking you will need to make the full payment in advance in accordance with the booking instructions. Your booking is not confirmed until payment in full is received by the University and confirmation of your booking provided. Please note that all bookings are made on a “room only” basis.
Correspondence can be made via SummerAccommodation@plymouth.ac.uk or +44 1752 588644 or through the staff at the Residence Life Office located on the ground floor of the Mary Newman Building on the University campus.
Payment for accommodation must be made in advance to secure the accommodation. Instructions on how to pay for your booking will be provided on confirmation of your request. Your booking is not secured until payment in full is received by the University.
Room prices are inclusive of VAT.
Cancellations and booking alterations
- In the event of cancellation received by the University at
least one week prior to the due date for arrival, the University will refund
the full amount paid.
- In the event of cancellation received by the University
later than one week before the due date for arrival, cancellation will result
in forfeiture of one night’s charge per room booked at the relevant rate per
- Subject to availability, alterations to bookings can be made
up to one week prior to the due date for arrival to increase or decrease the
number of rooms booked. Any decrease in numbers after this date, will result in
forfeiture of one night’s charge per room booked at the relevant rate per room.
Parking on campus is highly restricted and where available, there is a charge. If we have been able to reserve a parking space for you, this will be made available to you when you collect your room keys.
However, please note that Plymouth City Council operates 50 car parks and more than 5,200 parking spaces in Plymouth. 19 of these car parks are situated in and around Plymouth city centre in close proximity to the University campus. Further information on parking in Plymouth city centre, including the park and ride service, can be found on this link http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/parking.
Check in and check out
Please note that check in on the day of arrival is available from 14:00 and on the day of departure check out is by 10:00.
On departure, please return your key to the reception desks at 41 Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BT. If closed post your key on the letter box.
- All rooms are let on a single person occupancy. The guest
shall ensure that the permitted number of persons using the accommodation is
not exceeded. Any unauthorised guests found to be in the residence will be
asked to leave immediately.
- Sub-letting, sharing or assignment is not permitted.
- The person responsible for booking the accommodation must be
aged 18 or over.
- Minors are allowed at our accommodation but need to be
supervised by an adult at all times.
- For group bookings, the group contact person is responsible for all payments for the accommodation.
- The group contact person (or designated individual) is responsible for the behaviour of the individuals staying in the accommodation. The University is in no way responsible for the behaviour of the guests. The group contact person (or designated individual) is responsible for all charges in relation to any damage caused by the group staying in the accommodation.
Right of entry
- The accommodation is occupied by the guest under a licence in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- The University, or its agents, contractors or nominated representatives shall have the right of entry to the accommodation at all reasonable times. Although we are not obliged to give notice of access we will try to do so where reasonably practicable.
- The University reserves the right to access the accommodation for cleaning purposes on weekdays after 09:00 and for purposes of inspection of its property at any time.
- The University reserves the right to demand the early
departure of any guest or visitor who creates a disturbance or nuisance to
other guests or breaches these terms and conditions in anyway.
- The guest agrees not to make any alterations to the accommodation
or the decorations or fixtures or fittings of the accommodation and its
- The guest agrees not to do anything (or suffer anything to
be done) as a result of which any policy of insurance effected by the
University on the accommodation may become void or voidable or as a result of
which the rate of the premium on any such policy may be increased.
- The guest agrees not to use the accommodation or any part of
them or suffer or permit them or any part of them, to be used for any illegal
or immoral purposes. The accommodation should be used only as short term
accommodation and particularly but without limitation not for any business or
other commercial purpose or for any activities that the University (acting
reasonably) regard as dangerous, noisy, noxious or offensive.
- The guest is not permitted or must not permit any other
party to bring any animals/pets into the hired premises. Please contact the
University in advance if you wish to bring guide dog or hearing dog.
- Bicycles are not allowed inside any University
- In accordance with the University’s policy, smoking is not
permitted in any University building. A £50 fine will be charged to anyone who
is found to be smoking within the accommodation or any other University
- The halls are based in the city centre and there may be
other guests staying in the same accommodation block or flat. Maintenance
activities may also be operating during the day. While every effort will be
made to keep noise to a minimum, please note that there will be residual noise
within the environs.
- Under no circumstances will the University accept the
responsibility or liability in respect of any loss of, or damage to, any
property brought onto the University premises, either by the guest or any
person in their party.
- Accommodation must be left in a clean and tidy condition.
- The guest shall be responsible for any damage to University
property (or to that belonging to any individual or other organisation).
- Lost or unreturned keys will be charged for.
Health and safety
- The University makes every effort to comply with our health
and safety obligations but it is also your responsibility to ensure that you
(and all members of your group) are aware of the procedures in the case of fire
or other emergency.
- The guest undertakes to observe all health and safety and fire regulations and instructions relating to the accommodation, as defined by the University and displayed in the accommodation or University building.
Changes by the University and force majeure
- If necessary, we reserve the right to provide alternative
accommodation and/or facilities to those booked. If our standard charges for
the alternative accommodation and/or facilities is less than the amount you
were due to pay, we will reduce the amount payable accordingly and if
applicable refund any difference to you.
- This Agreement may be subject to cancellation or variation
if it may be necessary as a result of reasons beyond our reasonable control
which may include without limitation our inability to secure labour, materials
or supplies or as a result of any act of God, war, strike, lock-out or other
labour dispute, fire, flood, drought, legislation.
Status and legal
- This arrangement is not intended to create a relationship of
landlord and tenant between the parties. Visitors shall not be entitled to a
new tenancy or to any statutory tenancy or statutory protection howsoever
arising now or on determination of this Agreement.
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, these terms and
conditions apply to the exclusion of any other terms. We each agree that we do
not intend to confer any benefit under this Agreement or any right to enforce
this Agreement on anyone who is not a party to it. This Agreement is to be
governed by the law of England and Wales and the Courts of England and Wales
are to have exclusive jurisdiction to resolve any disputes.
Wireless internet is provided free of charge for up to 4 hours per day. Further information is available on the frequently asked questions (FAQs) page: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/faqs-summer-accommodation.
These terms and conditions should be read in conjunction with the frequently asked questions (FAQs) page: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/faqs-summer-accommodation.
We are already taking bookings for summer accommodation 2019, so please complete our online enquiry form today and a member of our team will be in contact once our room availability has been confirmed. If you are a student, at any educational establishment, please email us at email@example.com.
Please note that for Summer 2019 we can only accommodate guests from 8 July to 31 August 2019.
Summer accommodation contact details
Residence Life and Student Accommodation Services, Mary Newman Hall, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA
General summer accommodation enquiries: Monday–Friday, 9:00–17:00.