Clearing accommodation FAQs

Find your place at the University of Plymouth through Clearing and receive University-guaranteed accommodation

We understand how important finding the right accommodation is for our students, so we’re here to help find the best option for you. We have rooms available in our University-managed halls of residence which includes our Residence Life team and social programme.

Our dedicated Residence Life and Student Accommodation team are able to advise you on all the choices available.

Make your halls of residence application

Your accommodation options

University-managed halls of residence

If you book halls of residence, you will benefit from a Residence Life team who organise regular events for the halls community and live-in Hall Volunteers who provide peer support for our residents, as well as two receptions located in the heart of campus who are able to assist you throughout the year. Apply now.

Clearing students

We understand how important finding the right accommodation is for our students, so we’re here to help find the best option for you. We have a range of halls and our dedicated Residence Life and Student Accommodation Office team are able to advise you on all the choices available.

University managed halls of residence 

We have rooms available in our University managed halls of residence through clearing. Please check our accommodation webpage for a full list of halls we offer.

Next steps and questions

Once you have had a chance to consider the options above or if you have any questions at all about your accommodation application, please contact our Accommodation and Residence Life team who will be happy to help. Apply now!

Unconditional and conditional firm students

We understand how important it is to live and study with like-minded students in a secure and welcoming environment; therefore, we guarantee University-managed accommodation to all undergraduate applications who choose the University of Plymouth as their first choice institution and apply for accommodation before 6 May 2019. Please note that the guarantee does not apply to students who still have a conditional status after 31 August 2019.

Already applied?

If you applied before 6 May and meet our published criteria you will be guaranteed your place in halls subject to your course offer becoming unconditional firm. If you applied after the deadline and have not received a room offer by 1 August, you will have to wait until A-level results day on 15 August to be contacted by Residence Life.

Not applied yet?

If you haven’t yet applied for a room in halls, you will need to call us during clearing (15 August onward) to check the availability of University managed halls. Room options during this time may be limited. Apply now.

Room availability

Can I have a room in University-managed halls?

  • If you are coming through clearing, see above instructions for your options.
  • Apply now on our accommodation portal

I have a disability. Will I get a suitable room?

  • We have a page on our accommodation application for medical conditions and room adaptations
  • Please contact Disability Services for academic support
  • We only allocate disability rooms on the advice of Disability Services.


How do I log in?

  • Please visit our accommodation portal. If it is your first time visiting the portal you will need to enter your email address you used for your UCAS application and press ‘generate password’. This will send an email to your account within 30 minutes with your six digit password.
  • Please type in this number rather than copy and paste it as some browsers are not compatible.

I’ve forgotten my username/password. How can I log in?

  • Your accommodation portal username is your registered UCAS email address.
  • If you have forgotten your password, enter your email address and click generate password.

My password is not arriving in my email inbox:

  • High levels of traffic may delay the release of your email. Please wait another 30 minutes
  • Have you checked your junk folder?
  • Check the email address - make sure there are no spaces at the start or end of it. Please do not copy and paste the email address.

I’m getting an error message when I log into the portal

Status Reason
Password could not be sent. We are waiting for your University account to be updated from UCAS. Please try to log in again in 24 hours.
Your details were not found. Please contact the University directly. Your password will be a six digit number.  If you do have your six-digit password there is an error with log in details, please check the email address you have entered.
Please wait for 30 minutes and try logging in again. You may have entered your details incorrectly, please wait 30 minutes and try to log in again.

Additional requirements

If you have any specific requirements, such as you are tall and require a longer bed, please add this information on the additional information section on the halls application form. We cannot guarantee to meet all requirements. 

Room offers

How do I know if I've been offered a place in University managed halls of residence? 

Applied through online portal (applied before 15 August)  

  • An email will be sent to your registered UCAS email address offering you a place in our halls. 
  • You will then need to log in to the accommodation portal usually within seven days to sign your licence agreement and pay your deposit to secure your room. 
  • If you have not received this email please check your junk mail folder.

Clearing students

  • Our accommodation sales team will be able to advise what rooms are available in halls of residence by calling the clearing accommodation phone line on 01752 588644.
  • Once we have created the booking and sent the offer via email, you will be required to pay a deposit to secure the room.
  • Once this payment has been accepted, you will receive an email confirmation. 

I don’t like my University managed offered hall room; can I change it?

If you decide to reject your room offer, or you do not accept the offer within the time frame specified, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to make an alternative offer. However, there are two options available.

  • You can move into the room offered and go on a waiting list for a room swap. We will confirm if a new room is available (this is decided on a case by case basis with the intended outcome to improve your residence experience with us but not guaranteed)
  • You can cancel your application and look at our alternative accommodation options.

What happens if I swap courses?

If you have already signed your licence, your room allocation will remain the same.

Moving into halls

What is my move in date?

Your allocated move in time slot will be automatically emailed to you. A copy of this will be sent to you once you have signed your licence agreement.

Medicine/dentistry students or international students - 7 September 2019

All other students - 13/14 September 2019 (depending on your particular hall)

How do I know when to move in?

  • These dates and times are calculated to ensure the smoothest experience while moving into your hall and that your future flatmates will arrive at the same time.
  • Route maps will be available on the website. These are calculated with the council’s traffic management team to ensure minimum disruption to Plymouth’s road network on the day.

Will there be anyone to help me move in?

Yes - the Residence Life and Student Accommodation team and student ambassadors will be here to help you move in.

Can you advise me on where my parents can stay whilst they help me move in? 

Here is a list of accommodation in the Plymouth area subject to availability.


How long is my tenancy?

  • All licences in University managed halls are 41 weeks.
  • International and medicine/dentistry students arrive a week early, therefore your licence agreement will be at least one week longer (42 weeks).
  • Tenancy lengths vary in private halls and housing, please check with them directly.

I’m under 18, I can't sign a contract.

  • A parent, guardian or carer who is over 18 will need to sign the agreement on your behalf.
  • If you are 18 on or before 31 August 2019 you can sign the contract yourself when it reaches your 18th birthday.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

  • Yes – it is £250 for all University managed halls.
  • This should be paid through the accommodation portal by either credit or debit card.
  • This must be paid within the time frame specified in your room offer email or you will lose your room reservation.

Is it OK for my parents to pay my deposit / how long do I have to pay my deposit?

Yes. Please be aware that all deposits will be refunded back to the card or bank account it was paid from, at the end of your licence agreement.

Do I have to pay my deposit from the same card I will use to pay my rent?

No, we don't keep your card details between payments so you can select a new card for each payment.

What happens if I don't pay my deposit in time?

If you don't pay your deposit (usually within 7 days) your allocation will be cancelled and you will lose your allocated room offer.

  • You would need to contact us to reactivate your application as soon as possible.
  • You will no longer be covered by the guarantee (if applied by 6 May and met guarantee criteria). Please note that the guarantee does not apply to students who still have a Conditional status after 31 August 2019.

Do I have to pay any rent before I move in? How much? 

  • Yes, you will have to pay four weeks (one month) rent - this is prior to your arrival. This is due by 7 September.
  • We will contact you by email to explain the process.

When are my payments due throughout the year?

The remaining rent is split into three, at the beginning of each term. These dates tie in with payments from the student finance company. These are detailed on your licence agreement.

  • 12 October - rent instalment due
  • 18 January - rent instalment due
  • 25 April - rent instalment due

What happens if I can’t afford to pay my deposit?

Unfortunately, we cannot make any allowances. If you are unable to pay the deposit you would not be able to secure a room.

What happens if I can’t afford to pay the first four weeks rent before I move in?

If you can pay the deposit but you have difficulties paying the first four weeks rent then you would need to contact the Residence Life and Student Accommodation Office when the four weeks rent is requested by email.

Can I pay monthly?

If you have evidence that you are being paid monthly with, for example, an NHS Bursary, then you can apply to set up a monthly payment plan. You would need to do this once you have arrived by going to the Residence Life and Student Accommodation Office.

General information


All University-managed accommodation is non-smoking. You need to be at least five meters from any University building. 


When vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.

Can I register with a doctor?

You can register with a GP at the University Medical Centre on campus who work with two surgeries Beaumont Villa Surgery and Peverell Park Surgery. You may also call +44 1752 222341 or visit the University Medical Centre website for further information.

UPP Halls

If you are living in UPP Halls (Radnor, Pilgrim, Gilwell, Robbins, Mary Newman or Francis Drake, there is a guide to the buildings and services. You can also view your insurance cover details.


All residents have access to the University network at no extra charge. Please look at the Halls Guide for information about internet usage in halls.

Do I need to pay for a TV Licence? 

Yes - if you are watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes, including download. Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download programmes. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by as on any channel.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.

To find out more, go to

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that’s through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.

For more information on the ways to pay, go to

If I live in halls, won’t I already be covered by a TV Licence? 

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download programmes. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they’re covered by a halls' licence.

Won't my parents' licence cover me? 

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer? 

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

 What if I don’t need a licence?

If you don’t need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.

Can I bring a bike/watersport equipment?

Halls storage facilities

  • A limited number of bicycles and water-sports storage facilities are provided free of charge. Please arrange this with your hall reception upon arrival.

Please note: Bicycles and water-sports equipment are not permitted in bedrooms or any communal areas for health and safety reasons. Bicycles must be stored in a bicycle storage room within designated buildings or the outdoor bicycle racks. If you have a bicycle it is essential to insure it and lock it.

Bicycles stored in other areas, for example on railings etc, will be removed by the facilities management team. Personal diving equipment, including high-pressure diving cylinders, full or empty, cannot be stored in or around halls.

University of Plymouth will not cover loss or damage to items in a halls storage area.

Can I bring a car?

We do not provide parking spaces for our halls of residence and parking is very limited in the centre of Plymouth. All the halls of residence are close to both the University and the city centre. Public transport links are very good; for example, there is a frequent bus to Derriford Hospital.

There are various spaces around campus for blue badge holders.

Please note: If you park on campus or any of our halls without a valid permit then you are liable to be fined, which we are sure you will want to avoid. So please make sure that you park only where you are permitted to do so.

What to bring with me

Got your accommodation all sorted? Moving into halls you'll need to bring some essentials along with you.

Here's a few suggestions...

Halls of residence addresses

  • Francis Drake Hall of Residence, James Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6AP
  • Gilwell Hall of Residence, Tavistock Place, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AP
  • Mary Newman Hall of Residence, Portland Square, Plymouth, Devon PL4 6DH
  • Pilgrim Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BT
  • Radnor Hall of Residence, 10 Gilwell Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BX
  • Robbins Hall of Residence, Gibbon Street, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8BZ

Please note: when vacating your room at the end of your contract, please ensure you change your postal address.