ETextbooks for everyone!
The University of Plymouth wants to give you the best start to your first year of student life by giving you your essential reading for free!
What are eTextbooks?
University of Plymouth eTextbooks are personal ebook copies that stay with a student for life. Once downloaded they are with a student through their studies and beyond into their professional life.
No more heavy bags of books to carry around, just everything in one place accessible 24/7 wherever you are in the world.
We realise that eTextbooks are a new technology and offer support to students who are discovering eTextbooks for the first time.
Further information can be found here:http://plymouth.libguides.com/etextbooks
Our students say...
"Benefits my assignments and adds a range of references to my work. It enables me to have easy access to core resources which saves time from going to the library or buying books."
BA (Hons) Education Studies
"Having ebooks especially for core books gives you the ability to learn at your own pace without having to worry about handing the book back into the library. It also means you can use it as a constant reference and look back on it at any point."
BA (Hons) Geography
"Everyone has access to the same textbooks, so they can be used as references when revising together "
BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Finance
" Financially it's very beneficial as there are such a large number of text books we could buy but it's not possible with the cost so this is a great resource and one that allows me to extend my reading. I am a mature student who travels quite far so it's almost like having and additional library resource. Very useful"
BSc (Hons) Pre-Registration Midwifery
- Plymouth University provides over 80% of first-year undergraduates with their core reading in eTextbooks format.
- Students on average receive three titles up to the RRP value of £200, once downloaded these personal eTextbook copies belong to the student forever.
- Plymouth runs one of the largest personal eTextbook schemes in the UK supported by the Kortext platform.
- The initial driver for the service, started in 2011 by Dr Phil Gee in the School of Psychology, was to alleviate the hidden costs of HE education for the new student.
- In 2017 we provided over 4000 first year undergraduates with over 16,000 copies of their essential reading.
If you need further information, please contact the eTextbook team
Our staff said...
“For students who are off campus having resources that they can access from home is very useful. The good thing about eBook is it is available to everyone either in campus or off campus.”
Marine Science and Environment lecturer
“We like the eBooks because our students are out in practice for so much a period of time, so that are not on campus all the time. So for them to have access to the books is essential.”
School of Nursing and Midwifery