Dr Stephen Grove
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer)
School of Engineering (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
Associate Professor (SL), School of Marine Science and Engineering
Formerly Associate Head/subject group leader for mechanical and marine engineering.
BSc - Physics (Imperial College, London, 1974)
MPhil - Meteorology (Imperial College, London, 1977)
Associate of the Royal College of Science
Diploma of Membership of Imperial College
PhD - Anisotropy of Heat Conduction in Fibre-Reinforced Composites (Plymouth Polytechnic/CNAA, 1985)
Chartered Physicist (CPhys)
Chartered Engineer (CEng)
Institute of Physics (Member)
Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering
Roles on external bodies
Member of EPSRC College (composite materials).
Panel member for EPSRC RNET4 (Renewable and New Energy Technologies).
Sector Specialist for SWERDA projects Knowledge Exploitation South West and HEIF.
Inspire SW Regional Technology Panel.
National Composites Network, Strategy Group member.
Aerospace Training South West (academic steering group).
Introductory Materials Technology.
Composites Analysis and Design.
Finite Element Analysis
CPD (various levels) short courses in composites technology.
Staff serving as external examiners
MPhil: Southampton (1997); Bristol (2003)
PhD: Swansea (2009 & 2010); Manchester (2010); Portsmouth (2010); Anna, India (2014), Southampton (2017)
Polymer composites design, manufacture and applications.
Numerical modelling of heat transfer and flow processes.
Thermo-physical behaviour of building materials and structures.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
As Director of Studies:
Griffin (PhD) - 1995
Craen (MPhil) - 2000
Progoulakis (MPhil) - 2004
Lorraine (MPhil) - 2009
Blackburn (MPhil) - 2009
Pomeroy (PhD) - 2010
Harman (PhD) - 2013
Cullen (PhD) - 2013
Abdalrahman (PhD) - 2016
Meng (PhD) - 2016
Current supervision: 2 PhD.
Grants & contracts
Recent Government / EU grants:
EPSRC Industrial CASE Award (with Plastech), £112.6k, 2004-2007.
DTI Advanced Technology Programme, Production of Off-Axis Thermoplastic Prepreg, £49k, 2005-2007.
EU Framework 6 - ALCAS (Advanced Low-Cost Aircraft Structures) - Training and Dissemination, €100k, 2005-2009.
EPSRC Industrial CASE Award (with Vestas Technology UK), £79.3k, 2006-2009.
GWR Research Studentship (with QinetiQ), £55.6k, 2008-2011.
EU-Leonardo Partnership Programme, European Network for Plastics and Composites Training. €15k, 2009-11.
EU FP7-SME ('RAMPCO'). £115k, 2013-15.
Commercially-funded R&D contracts in progress within ACMC on testing, training, process development, design and analysis. Recent clients include Alvis, Smith & Nephew, Vestas, Babcock, ESL.
Expert witness work in structural failure of composites.
Teaching Company Schemes / Knowledge Transfer Partnerships: 12 projects (7 as Lead Academic) since 1992. Programme with Pendennis (Jan 2000) and Plastech (Jan 2003) awarded TCS Certificates of Excellence. Recent programmes with Plastech, Dowty Aerospace and Kingfisher Boats (2004-2007, £113k), Pipex (2011-12, £58k).
Creative practice & artistic projects
- Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte and Md Jahir Rizvi. Numerical Analysis of the Thermomechanical Behaviour of an Integrally Water-Heated Tool for Composite Manufacturing. Journal of Reinforced Plastics & Composites (2017), 36(4) 241–253.
- M Meng, H Le, SM Grove and MJ Rizvi. Moisture effects on the bending fatigue of laminate composites. Composite Structures (2016), 154, 49-60.
- Rzgar Abdalrahman, Stephen Grove, Adam Kyte and Md Jahir Rizvi. Numerical simulation and experimentalverification of heating performance of an integrally water-heated tool. Journal of Reinforced Plastics & Composites (2016), 35(8) 655–671.
- M Meng, MJ Rizvi, H Le and SM Grove. Multi-scale modelling of moisture diffusion coupled with stress distribution in CFRP laminated composites. Composite Structures (2016), 138, 295-304.
- M Meng, MJ Rizvi, SM Grove and H Le. Effects of hygrothermal stress on the failure of CFRP composites. Composite Structures (2015), 133, 1024-1035.
- M Meng, H Le, MJ Rizvi and SM Grove. The effects of unequal compressive/tensile moduli of composites. Composite Structures (2015), 126, 207-215.
- M Meng, H Le, MJ Rizvi and SM Grove. 3D FEA modelling of laminated composites in bending and their failure mechanisms. Composite Structures (2015), 119, 693-708.
- R Abdalrahman, S Grove, A Kyte and MJ Rizvi. Numerical simulation and design optimisation of an integrally-heated tool for composites manufacture. Materials and Design (2014), 64, 477-489.
- B Pilkington and S Grove. Thermal conductivity probe length to radius ratio problem when measuring building insulation materials. Construction and Building Materials (2012), 35, 531-546.
- R Pasupuleti, Y Wang, I Shabalin, LY Li and S Grove. Modelling of Moisture Diffusion in Multilayer Woven Fabric Composites. Computational Materials Science (2011), 50, 1675-1680.
- SM Grove. Optimum Fibre Content for Minimum Weight Monolithic CompositeLaminates using Rules of Mixture. Advanced Composites Letters (2009), 18 (5), 173-176.
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh. Life Cycle impact Assessment of Flax Fibre for the Reinforcement of Composites. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy (2009), 3 (3), 1-4.
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove, and MM Singh. Energy Use in the Production of Flax Fiber for the Reinforcement of Composites, Journal of Natural Fibers, October 2009, 6(4), 331-346.
- Amandeep S Virk, J Summerscales, W Hall, SM Grove, ME Miles. Design, manufacture, mechanical testing and numerical modelling of an asymmetric composite crossbow limb. Composites: Part B 40 (2009), 249-257.
- Y Wang and SM Grove. Modelling Microscopic Flow in Woven Fabric Reinforcements and its Application in Dual-Scale Liquid Composite Moulding. Composites: Part A 39 (2008), 843-855.
- Y Wang and SM Grove. Continuum Dual-scale Modelling of Liquid Composite Moulding Processes. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 28 (12/2009), 1469-1484.
- Y Wang, SM Grove and MG Anderson. A Physically and Chemically Based Model for Water Retention in Unsaturated Porous Media. Advances in Water Resources 31 (2008), 701-713.
- R Pomeroy, SM Grove, J Summerscales, Y Wang and A Harper. Measurement of permeability of continuous filament mat glass fibre reinforcements by saturated radial air flow. Composites Part A: 38 (May 2007), 1439-1443
- SM Grove, E Popham, and ME Miles, An investigation of the skin/core bond in honeycomb sandwich structures using experimental techniques. Composites: Part A 35 (2006) 804-812.
- SM Grove, I Progoulakis, T Searle, J Summerscales and P Healey. Heated Tooling for Aerospace Composites Manufacture. SAMPE Journal, 41 (7), 2005, pp 36-45.
- N Joulia and SM Grove, Strength of Sandwich Panel ‘Cut and Fold’ Joints. Advanced Composites Letters, 12 (6), 2003, pp 243-246.
- SM Grove. Optimum fibre orientation in filament wound structures. Journal of Materials Science Letters, 1 August 1999, 18(15), 1203.
- CD Williams, SM Grove and J Summerscales. The Compression Response of FRP Plates during Manufacture by the RIFT Method. Composites Part A, 29A (1998), pp. 111-114.
- CD Williams, SM Grove and J Summerscales. Resin Infusion under Flexible Tooling (RIFT): a review. Composites Part A, 27A (1996), pp. 517-524.
- D Harman, SM Grove and J Summerscales. The economics of through-thickness fibre reinforcement using single sided robotic tufting. ECCM-16, Seville, Spain (June 2014).
- P de Wilde, R Griffiths, SM Grove and S Goodhew. Progress in Simulation of a Thermal Probe: Modelling Sample to Probe Conductance. 11th International Building Performance Simulation Association Conference, Glasgow (July 2009).
- RK Cullen, SM Grove and J Summerscales. Resin Infusion of Sandwich Structures - Core/Skin Interactions and Void Formation. ICCM-17, Edinburgh (July 2009).
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh. Quantitative Life Cycle Analysis for Flax Fibres. ICCM-17, Edinburgh (July 2009).
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh. Life cycle impact assessment of flax fibre for the reinforcement of composites. 2nd International Conference on Innovative Natural Fibre Composites for Industrial Applications, Rome (April 2009).
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh. Life cycle impact assessment of flax fibre for the reinforcement of composites. International Conference on Manufacturing of Advanced Composites, Belfast (March 2009).
- RK Cullen, SM Grove, J Summerscales and HN Dhakal. Flow convergence and void formation in resin-infused cored sandwich tructures. 9th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM-9), Montréal, Canada (July 2008).
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove, MM Singh. Infusion of natural vs. synthetic fibre composites. 9th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM-9), Montréal, Canada (July 2008).
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh. Comparative life cycle assessment for natural vs glass fibres as reinforcement for composites. Composites Innovation 2007 - improved sustainability and environmental performance, Barcelona (October 2007).
- NPJ Dissanayake, HN Dhakal, SM Grove, MM Singh, J Summerscales. Optimisation of energy use in the production of flax fibre as reinforcement for composites. International Conference on Flax and Other Bast Plants (Fiber Foundations - Transportation, Clothing and Shelter in the Bioeconomy), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan), CANADA, 21-23 July 2008, Abstract #10, pages 47-58. ISBN-13: 978-0-9809664-0-4.
- Y Wang, SM Grove and MG Anderson. Modelling Water Retention Characteristic in Unsaturated Soils. 1st European Conference on Unsaturated Soils (E-UNSAT 2008).
- Y Wang and SM Grove. Unsaturated modelling of dual scale flow in liquid composite moulding. 8th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM8), Douai, France, 11-13 July 2006.
- T Searle, J Spooner, SM Grove et al., Manufacture of Large Composite Structures by Resin Infusion. 24th International SAMPE Europe Conference, Paris (April 2003).
- J Summerscales, SM Grove, TER Jones, TJ Searle and D Short (editiors). Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials, Plymouth, 12-14 July 1999. ISBN 1-870918-01-0.
- JA Craen, SM Grove and J Summerscales. The compression response of fibre beds subjected to repeated loading cycles in the RIFT manufacturing process. 7th International Conference on Fibre-Reinforced Composites, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 15-17 April 1998. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 1998, pp 120-127.
- S Milton and SM Grove. Composite Sandwich Panel Manufacturing Concepts for a Lightweight Vehicle Chassis. Proc. 30th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation (ISATA), Florence, Italy, June 1997.
- D Katsanis and SM Grove. Design and Prototype Manufacture of a Composite Bicycle Frame. The Engineering of Sport, S. Haake (ed.), Balkema, Rotterdam, 1996, pp. 97-101.
- Stephen Grove. Manufacture of Polymer Composites, in Wiley Encyclopedia of Composites, July 2012. DOI: 10.1002/9781118097298.weoc127
- John Summerscales and Stephen Grove. Manufacturing Methods for Natural Fibre Composites, in Hodzic and Shanks (ed), Natural Fibre Composites. Woodhead Publishing, UK (2014). ISBN 978-0-85709-524-4.
Reports & invited lectures
India Composites 2003 (Hyderabad) - Invited keynote speaker and workshop leader.
SAMPE European Conference 2004 (Paris) – Invited session chairman.
8th International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials 2006 (Douai, France) - session chairman.