Dr Sarah Rybczynska-Bunt
Clinical Trials & Health Research - Institute of Translational & Stratified Medicine (Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of M
Sarah Rybczynska-Bunt is a research fellow in Primary Care and is part of the Process Evaluation team for the Engager project. Sarah is interested in Realist and Critical Realist approaches to health care research where outcomes derive out of interweaving micro and macro factors.
More generally, Sarah has an interest in Critical Disability Studies; and is particularly concerned with the outcomes for disabled children within the ‘looked after’ population.
PhD: Social Work Plymouth University 2013
‘The Adoption of Disabled Children’, examines the efforts of local authorities to place children for adoption with complex health/impairment needs, as well as the motives of adopters who take decision to adopt a disabled child.
Associate Membership of the HEA
Roles on external bodies
External Examiner for the Health and Social Care Program at University of Wales Trinity Saint Davids
Introduction to Health and Social Care Disability, Politics and Protest Disability in Childhood The Social Body Bioethics Global Public Health Mental Health and Society Introduction to the Human Services Research Approaches Child Welfare
Bunt, S. (2016) ‘Critical realism and Grounded theory: Analysing the adoption outcomes for disabled children using the retroduction framework’, Qualitative Social Work. Pp.1-19 Available at: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1473325016664572 [Accessed 15/02/2017]
Bunt, S. (2014) ‘A framework for the analysis of the social processes in the adoption of disabled children’. Journal of Social Work. 14(5), pp. 524–541
Reports & invited lectures
• Bunt, S. (2015) ‘Disability, Prognosis and Adoption’ The Royal College of Paediatrics (London)
• Bunt, S. (2015) ‘Placing Disabled Children for Adoption’ Making Research Count Kings College London
• Bunt, S. (2015) ‘Disability and Adoption’ Conference on Adoption Plymouth City Council and University of Plymouth
• Bunt, S. (2015) Improving Outcomes for Disabled Children in Adoption British Agency of Adoption and Fostering Research Group (London)
• Bunt, S. (2015) Family Finding for Disabled Children in Adoption Vulnerable Adults and Children: Justice For All? (Leicester Family Justice Board Annual Conference).
• Bunt (2014) ‘Placing Disabled Children for Adoption’. Making Research Count (York)
• Bunt, S. (2014) ‘Placing Disabled Children for Adoption.’ Making Research Count Event (7th February).
• Bunt, S. (2012) ‘Matching the Needs of Disabled Children with Adoptive Families: Findings from a Research Study on the Adoption Process. Joint University Social Work Education Committee Conference, Manchester (2nd July]
• Bunt (2012) Unearthing Adopter’s Motives: examining the factors and social processes that contribute to the decision to adopt a disabled child. Cornwall Disability Research Network Conference (9th November).
• Bunt, S (2012) ‘Matching the Needs of Disabled Children with Adoptive Families: Findings from a Research Study on the Adoption Process’. Safeguarding and the Family: Policy and Practice Conference, University of Plymouth (23rd February),
• Bunt, S. (2010) ‘The adoption of disabled children’. The ‘Child and Childhood in theory and Practice, University of Leeds, (15th September)