Mrs Ruth Atkinson
Lecturer in Education (Music)
Plymouth Institute of Education (Faculty of Arts & Humanities)
I joined the University in January 2013 and work part-time within the Plymouth Institute of Education. My work involves teaching on the initial teacher education programmes for primary and early-years teachers. I am the subject leader for Music on these programmes and have other management roles. I also act as professional tutor and make school visits when students are on placement.
BAHons (Oxon) in Psychology and Physiology
A continuing priority is to help student teachers develop a deep sense of what constitutes high-quality learning and teaching. Times change - and so do curricula, statutory requirements, technologies, budgets, etc - but the fundamental nature of children, their wellbeing and their learning, remain constant and need always to be at the centre of what we do.
- developing students' skills, knowledge and confidence in working musically with children
- developing their pedagogic understanding and professional expertise
- exploring how to plan effective lessons and how to assess progress
- considering, from a whole-school/setting perspective, how to organise and plan things so that children's musical experiences can be progressive, with continuity as well as variety
- investigating what is known and surmised about children's musical development
- carrying out small pieces of new research in schools
I am interested in aspects of HE pedagogy that impact on the efficacy of my work with student teachers of primary music.
Other academic activities
Music workshop as an 'immersive pedagogical experience' for new lecturers at Plymouth University, as part of a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) module called 'Developing Professional Practice', June 2016
'Musical music teaching in UK primary education: putting into words the need to get away from words'
I enjoy many kinds of music in a variety of contexts. I play 'cello, drums and recorders, some guitar and piano, and I enjoy singing. I have two children and one grandchild. I love living so near the sea.