Dr Miriam McMullan
Lecturer - Podiatry
School of Health Professions (Faculty of Health & Human Sciences)
- Senior Fellowship Higher Education Academy (2015)
- PhD, Peninsula Medical School (2008)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education & SEDA accreditation (2007)
- Fellowship Higher Education Academy (2007)
- MSc (Distinction) Social Research, University of Plymouth (2004)
- BSc (Hons) Podiatry, University of Plymouth (2000)
- MSc Information Technology, University of Glasgow (1988)
- BSc (Hons) Human Biology, University of London (1984)
- Member of the HCPC
- Member of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
Roles on external bodies
- External Examiner MRes Clinical Research (Teesside University)
- External Examiner DipHE Paramedic Science (Birmingham City University)
- Editorial board member of the Educational Research and Reviews Journal
- Open University Education Doctorate (EdD) supervisor
- Swiss National Science Foundation (Research Universita della Svizzera Italiana) commissioned external reviewer
Invited reviewer for:
- Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
- International Journal of Medical Informatics
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- International Journal of Nursing Studies
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- Journal of Public Health
- Health Education Journal
- Module lead (design, development, evaluation, teaching and management) of undergraduate and post-graduate modules, predominantly in evidence based practice, research methods and podiatry.
- Undergraduate Research: Developing, leading and managing the undergraduate research programme for 4 healthcare disciplines (OT, Paramedicine, Physiotherapy, Podiatry) (n~250 students) including an international site (Attico College, Greece).
- Successfully leading the design, delivery and evaluation of a large first year interprofessional immersive module on Preparation for Professional Practice involving over 280 students. It includes the line-management of academic staff from 6 different disciplines (n=12) participating in the module on 3 different sites, including an international site (Attico College, Athens, Greece).
- Module lead of a large first year interprofessional EBP module within the Peninsula Allied Health Collaboration. This module involved over 500 students and included the line-management of academic staff (n=20) from 10 different disciplines from 2 Universities participating in the module on 3 different sites, including an international site in Greece (2008-2013).
- Supervision of final year undergraduate, MSc and PhD research.
- Facilitating profession specific and interprofessional seminars.
- Providing academic and pastoral support to students as a personal tutor/supervisor.
- Developing and assessing students’ clinical skills e.g. through the development and use of OSCE’s.
My research interests lie both in:
- Clinical research - medication management, peripheral neuropathy, patient education
- Paedagogic research - interprofessional education, mobile learning, placement education
Research group membership:
- School of Health Profession Research Advisory Group
- Institute of Health and Community
- Faculty of Health and Human Sciences student Ethics Committee
- Faculty of Education Research Ethics Sub-committee (EdRESC)
- School of Health Professions Undergraduate Research Ethics Committee
- School of Health Profession Service User Group (representing Podiatry)
- Development of a mathematical shearing stress model (IHC pump-priming funding, 2016)
- Prohealth@homestudy. This study aims to determine whether communicating with individuals at high risk of Type 2 diabetes via a web-based lifestyle app will lead to changes in lifestyle behaviour (diet and activity) resulting in an improved glycaemic control and reduction in diabetes risk (Faculty Innovation Centre; Proof of Concept funding, 2014)
- Development and evaluation of a Mobile App on Drug Calculations for smart phones/tablets (HEA Teaching Development Grant-Individual, 2012).
- Development of a resource and support package to develop podiatry students’ psychomotor skills whilst on placement (2008-2009 University Teaching Fellowship)
- Development and evaluation (using a cluster RCT research design) of an interactive pdf e-learning drug calculation package to support health professionals (ODP students, nursing students and registered nurses) in acquiring competence and confidence in performing drug calculations (PhD 2005-2008).
- The development and evaluation of a DVD on Local Anaesthetics/Nail Surgery on improving the competence and confidence of Podiatry students in performing these skills (2005-2006).
- Students’ perceptions on the use of Portfolios in pre-registration nursing education (MSc 2003-2004).
- Implementing competency recommendations into pre-registration nursing curricula: Effect upon student confidence and changes to practice (2003-2004). This one year study, which was funded by the Devon & Cornwall Workforce Development Collaboration, aimed to determine whether recommendations by the Department of Health and UKCC had been successful in improving newly qualified nurses’ practice and their confidence in their practice.
- Evaluative study of the Practice Educator role (2002-2003). The Practice Educator was a totally new post created, in February 2000, by the Higher Education Institution to support students and assessors in practice. The appointments were initially for three years. The aim of this project, which was funded by the Somerset, Devon and Cornwall Workforce Development Collaboration, was to evaluate the effectiveness of the Practice Educator post before extending it further.
- Education after Brain Injury Research Project (2002). This two year project was funded by the European Social Fund, the Leonard Cheshire Foundation and South & West Devon Health Authority. The aim of the project was to enhance access of clients with traumatic brain injury to learning resources so as to enable the full development of their potential.
- CRUpen (Collaborating Research Units Portfolio Evaluation Network) research project (2000-2002). This two year ENB/Department of Health commissioned project was a collaboration between the Universities of Brighton, Napier, Plymouth and Portsmouth and was entitled “Evaluation of the Use of Portfolios in the Assessment of Learning and Competence in Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting”.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
PhD (awarded Sept 2016). Thesis entitled: 'Dose-banding studies on Oxaliplatin'.
MSc Social Research
Grants & contracts
2016 IHC Pump Priming Grant: £2,500
2014 Proof of Concept Funding: £10,000
2014 Faculty Innovation Centre: £5,000
2014 IHC Pump Priming Grant: £1,000
2012 HEA Teaching Development Grant – Individual: £7,000
2010 School of Health Professions' research award: £7,500
2008 University of Plymouth Teaching Fellowship: £5,000
2008 Economic Social Research Council (ESRC): £300.00
2005 Diabetes UK: £200.00
Research Impact - Commissioned Journal Publications and Media
- McMullan M (2016) Foot health problems - When to refer to a podiatrist. Nursing in Practice 92: 79-83.
- Nursing Times (2016) Researchers hope to develop a better predictor for diabetic foot ulcers (3 May 2016) http://www.nursingtimes.net/7004464.article
- Medical Xpress (2016) Preventing foot ulcers with pressure predicting model (3 may 2016) http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-05-foot-ulcers-pressure-predicting.html
- Devitt P (2014) Review of 'Mastering Drug Calculations' App, Nursing Children and Young People, 26, 8, 11.
- McMullan M (2014) The portfolio is your key to self-development. Nursing Standard 29, 4, 73.
- BBC Radio Cornwall (2013) Drug calculations mobile app (23 Oct 2013)
- Plymouth Daily (2013) Healthcare students and professionals to benefit from new drug calculations App (21 Oct 2013) http://plymouth.thedailyuk.co.uk/news/health-beauty/healthcare-students-and-professionals-benefit-new-drug-calculations-app
- McMullan M (2010) Exploring the numeracy skills of nurses and students when performing drug calculations, Nursing Times 106, 34: 10-12.
- McMullan M (2010) Get a head for maths, Nursing Standard 25, 6: 21
- McMullan M (2014) Mobile Learning: Drug Calculations App. 5th International Nurse Education Conference 2014, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands.
- McMullan M (2008) Drug Calculations Support: Development and Evaluation of an Interactive E-Learning Package. Innovations in Numeracy Support for Healthcare conference (2008), University of Glamorgan.
- McMullan (2007) The use of portfolios in health education (invited symposium panellist). International Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) conference 2007, Trondheim, Norway.
- McMullan, M., Waldron, P., Hurrell, D. (2006) Can a DVD be used to support Podiatry students to enhance their Local Anaesthesia and Nail Surgery clinical competencies? VC Teaching and Learning Conference (2006), University of Plymouth.
- McMULLAN M (2015) Immersive Interprofessional Education. VC Teaching and Learning Conference (26th June 2015), Plymouth University.
- McMULLAN M (2014) Mastering Drug Calculations: A Mobile App. Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust Research Conference 2014 (26th Sept 2014), Derriford Post Graduate Medical Centre, Plymouth.
- McMULLAN M (2014) Mobile Learning: Drug Calculations App. 5th International Nursing and Healthcare Education Conference NETNEP 2014 (22nd- 25th June 2014), Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
- McMULLAN M (2014) Mobile App: Mastering Drug Calculations. PedRIO Annual Conference (2nd April 2014), Plymouth University.
- McMULLAN M (2013) Mastering Drug Calculations Mobile App. Vice-Chancellor's Research & Innovation Conference: Embedding Impact (22nd Nov 2013), Plymouth University.
- McMULLAN M (2013) Developing healthcare students’ knowledge, confidence and competence in performing drug calculations via mobile app technology. HEA Health and Social Care 2013 Annual Conference (5-6 June 2013), Leeds.
- Collinson A, McMULLAN M, Sadler H (2012) Managing serum phosphate in haemodialysis out-patients. Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust Research Conference 2012: Collaborative research – from ideas to implementation (14th Sept 2012), Plymouth.
- Abey S, Bruce M, McMULLAN M, Smith C, Waldron P (2009) An innovative approach to supporting clinical skills development in remote and disparate geographical areas. 8th European Conference on e-learning (29-30 October 2009), University of Bali, Italy.
- Abey S, Bruce M, McMULLAN M, Smith C, Waldron P (2009) Development of a resource and support package to develop podiatry students’ psychomotor skills whilst on placement. VC Teaching and Learning Conference, University of Plymouth.
- Humphreys A, McMULLAN M, Jowett R, Farrand P (2006) What are the effects on student confidence and fitness to practice of implementing competency recommendations into pre-registration nursing curricula? RCN annual international nursing research conference (21-24 March 2006), York.
- McMULLAN M, Derbyshire N, Jones RB, Milward BA, Stenhouse E (2005) Diabetes information: which leaflets and websites do diabetes specialist nurses give and recommend to patients? Diabetes UK Annual Professional Conference 2005 (20-22 April 2005), Glasgow.
- McMULLAN M, Richardson S (2005) The NHS Research Ethics Process and its Effect on Social Research in Health, Health and Social Care Interdisciplinary Innovation and Research Conference 2005 (10-11 March 2005), Plymouth.
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Evidence of esteem:
· Submitted for REF 2014 (UoA25 education)
· Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
· Commissioned external reviewer for the Swiss National Science Foundation (Research Commission of the Università della Svizzera Italiana) research grants.
· PhD supervision
· Education Doctorate (EdD) supervisor for the Open University
· Editorial board member of the Educational Research and Reviews Journal
· Member of the Faculty of Health and Human Sciences student Ethics Committee
· Member of the Education Research Ethics Sub-committee (EdRESC)
· HEA Teaching Development Grant – Individual (2012)
· Invited Symposium Panellist for the international Association of Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) conference in Trondheim 2007
· Commissioned reviewer for Reuters Health Newswire (2014)
· Commissioned publication Nursing in Practice (2016) and Nursing Standard (2014)
· Submitted for the RAE 2008
· University of Plymouth Teaching Fellow 08-09
· School of Health Professions Research Award 2010
· Commissioned publication Nursing Standard (2010)
· Commissioned publication Nursing Times (2010)