Dr Louise Belfield
Lecturer in Biomedical Science
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
International Association for Dental Research
- Biomedical Sciences including immunology, cell biology, cell signalling and microbiology.
- Dental nursing including infection control, decontamination and antimicrobial resistance.
- Inter-professional education for undergraduate dental professions.
- Module lead: Integrated Dental Science, BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene
- Lecturer: Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BSc (hons) Biomedical Sciences, BSc (hons) Nutrition, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
- Curriculum development (Science): Developing the UKs first, fully integrated DTH/BDS programme.
- Modulation of osteoclast differentiation and activity by endotoxin tolerance
- Modelling single infections and dual biofilms of Candida albicans and Staphylococcus aureus on threedimensional oral mucosal models
- Effects of mechanical strain on mesenchymal stem cell fate
- Regulation of tumour angiogenesis in response to periodontal bacteria
- Investigating the role of the oral microbiome in regulation of blood pressure
McIlwaine C, Brookes ZLS, Zahra D, Ali K, Zaric S, Jones G, Belfield LA. A novel, integrated curriculum for dental hygiene-therapists and dentists. Bdj. 2019;226:67
Zahra D, Belfield LA. Mcilwaine C, Bennett, J & Zaric S. the benefits of integrating dental and dental therapy & hygiene students in Undergraduate Curricula. European Journal of Dental Education. 2018.
Strachan A, Harrington Z, McIlwaine C, Jerreat M, Belfield LA, Kilar A, et al. Subgingival lipid A profile and endotoxin activity in periodontal health and disease. Clinical Oral Investigations. 2018.
Belfield LA, Bennett JH, Abate W, Jackson SJExposure to Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS during macrophage polarisation leads to diminished inflammatory cytokine production. Arch. Oral. Biol. 2017 Sep;81:41-47.
Zaric, S. and Belfield, L (2015) Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) with Immediate Feedback in Early (Pre-clinical) stages of the Dental Curriculum). Creative Education, 6, 585-593