Dr Louise Belfield
Lecturer in Biomedical Science
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
In April 2013 I was appointed as lecturer in biomedical sciences at the Dental School, where I am involved in the planning and delivery of the new, 5 year BDS degree, the scientific curriculum for integrated BSc (hons) Dental Therapy and Hygiene programme, and carrying out research in oral immunology.
International Association for Dental Research
- Biomedical Sciences including immunology, cell biology, cell signalling and microbiology.
- Inter-professional education for undergraduate dental professions.
- Module lead: Integrated Dental Science, BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene
- Lecturer: Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BSc (hons) Biomedical Sciences, BSc (hons) Nutrition, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
- Curriculum development (Science): Developing the UKs first, fully integrated DTH programme.
- Modulation of osteoclast differentiation and activity by endotoxin tolerance
- Modelling single infections and dual biofilms of Candida albicans and Staphylococcus aureus on threedimensional oral mucosal models
- Effects of mechanical strain on mesenchymal stem cell fate
- Regulation of tumour angiogenesis in response to periodontal bacteria
- Investigating the role of the oral microbiome in regulation of blood pressure
Exposure to Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS during macrophage polarisation leads to diminished inflammatory cytokine production. Belfield LA, Bennett JH, Abate W, Jackson SJ. Arch. Oral. Biol. 2017 Sep;81:41-47.
Zaric, S. and Belfield, L (2015) Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) with Immediate Feedback in Early (Pre-clinical) stages of the Dental Curriculum). Creative Education, 6, 585-593