Dr Louise Belfield
Lecturer in Biomedical Science
Peninsula Dental School (Faculty of Health)
International Association for Dental Research
Roles on external bodies
Councillor: British Society for Oral and Dental Research
Committee member: Association of Science Educators in Dentistry
Trustee: National Examination board for Dental Nurses
- Biomedical Sciences including immunology, cell biology, cell signalling and microbiology.
- Dental nursing including infection control, decontamination and antimicrobial resistance.
- Inter-professional education for undergraduate dental professions.
- BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene with Integrated Foundation Year
- Integrated Dental Science 1 Module lead, BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene and Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Lecturer: BSc Dental Therapy and Hygiene Bachelor of Dental Surgery, BSc (hons) Biomedical Sciences, BSc (hons) Nutrition, Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
- Curriculum development (Science): Developing the UKs first, fully integrated DTH/BDS programme.
- Widening Participation lead for Dentistry
Staff serving as external examiners
Cardiff University: BSc Dental Therapy and Dental Hygiene (years 2 and 3)
- Modulation of osteoclast differentiation and activity by endotoxin tolerance
- Modelling single infections and dual biofilms of Candida albicans and Staphylococcus aureus on three-dimensional oral mucosal models
- Effects of mechanical strain on mesenchymal stem cell fate
- Regulation of tumour angiogenesis in response to periodontal bacteria
- Investigating the role of the oral microbiome in regulation of blood pressure
Key publications are highlightedJournals