Dr Liz Stuart
Associate Professor in Computing
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics (Faculty of Science and Engineering)
My main expertise lies in the Information Visualization, Human-Computer Interaction and Big Data but I teach/have taught across many different modules.
- University lead investigator in the SPAX group (joint research project with NHS Hospitals Trust) where we investigate the visualization of big data in Critical Care.
- PhD Research Supervisor (first and second).
- Supervision of final stage projects/dissertations for undergraduate degrees.
- Supervision of students during Industrial Training/Placement.
- Module Leader for Undergraduate courses.
- Senior Personal Tutor
- 1991: BSc (Hons) Computer Science (First Class), University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
- 1996: DPhil Information and Systems Engineering, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland.
- 1998: UK Accreditation as a Teacher in Higher Education (SEDA Certificate).
- 1999-current: Associate Professor, SECaM, University of Plymouth.
- 1997-1999: Lecturer, School of Computing, University of Plymouth.
- 1996-1997: Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University of Exeter.
- 1991-1996: Part time lecturer/Demonstrator/DPhil student, University of Ulster.
- 2005-2007: Re-elected committee member of the International Visualization Society
- 2003-2005: Elected general committee member of the International Visualization Society
- 2002-2009: Member of the International Visualization Society
Roles on external bodies
- Program committee member for the IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization.
- Referee for the International journal Information Visualization.
- Referee for the IEEE International Information Visualization conference.
Teaching interestsI love teaching at any higher education level. I am well known for my physical demonstrations made up from whatever I find in my office (diet coke cans make regular appearances) and I have even received nominations/awards from students.
- Information Visualization
- Human Computer Interaction
- Usability Evaluation & Interaction design
- Undergraduate and Post-Graduate Projects
- Software Engineering
- Parallel Processing
- Computer Architecture
Staff serving as external examinersPhD examinations
- 2019: Abeer Alharbi. University of East Anglia.
- 2017: Obead Alhadreti. University of East Anglia.
- 2006: Norizza Hussain. University of Nottingham.
- Information Visualization
- Visual Data Analysis
- Animation, Glyph technology
- Virtual Reality, 3D Visualization
- Data Mining
- Software Engineering.
Due to the trans-disciplinary nature of Information Visualization, my research overlaps with other disciplines. I have enjoyed researching in many domains including
- Medical NHS Research - Critical Care
- Neuroscience and Neurophysiology
- Artificial Life
- Civil Engineering.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
- 2016-2019: Sarah Alhammad. Graduated 2019
- 2011-2016: Fahad Al Mansour. Graduated 2016.
- 2010-2015: Roy Tucker. Graduated 2015.
- 2007-2011: Fabio Ruini. Graduated 2011
- 2005-2011: Jared Somerville. Graduated 2011.
- 2005-2010: Mohammed Masud. Graduated 2011.
- 2003-2006: Gianluca Massera, Graduated 2008.
- 2000-2004: Martin Walter. Graduated 2005.
Grants & contracts
- 2018-2021 Plymouth University Faculty Studentship award, £60,000, Visualization of big data .
- 2000-2003 Principal Investigator, UK EPSRC Research Grant, £53,260, “A new approach for analysis of neurophysiological experimental data using visualization and virtual reality”.
- 1997-2000 Nuffield Foundation, Award for Newly Appointed Lecturers, £4,000.
- Shahed, M. M., Borisyuk R. & Stuart, L. Graph theory methods for analysing functional connectivity of multiple spike trains and its application to cat’s visual cortex data. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, (Submitted).
- Alhammad, S., Atkinson, S. and L. Stuart, Overview of using Visualisation in Programming Learning. International journal of advances in electronics and computer science, 5(7), July 2018.
- Shahed, M. M., Borisyuk R. & Stuart, L. Advanced Correlation Grid: Analysis and Visualisation of Functional Connectivity among Multiple Spike Trains. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 286, 78-101, July 2017.
- Almansour, F., & Stuart, L. Developing Innovative Tool to Enhance the Effectiveness of Decision Support System. ICDSST 2016, LNBIP 250, pp. 1–17, 2016.
- Tucker, R., Gunaratne, S., Barlow, N. & Stuart, L. A Scaling Cross Platform Tool for the Analysis of Neurophysiological Data. International Journal of Computer Application, 3 (4). pp 41-56, 2014.
- Somerville, J., Stuart, L. J., Borisyuk R. M. & Sernagor, E. The application of visual analytical methods to the raster plot representation of spike train data, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Volume 194, Issue 1, 158-171, 2010.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M. and R. Borisyuk. The correlation grid: analysis of synchronous spiking in multi-dimensional spike train data and identification of feasible connection architectures, BioSystems, 79, 223-233, 2005.
- Walter, M., Stuart, L., Borisyuk, R. The representation of neural data using visualization, Journal of Information Visualization, 3, 245-256, 2004.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R. Visualization of Synchronous Firing in Multi-dimensional Spike Trains, BioSystems, 67, 265-279, 2002.
- Alhammad, S., Atkinson, S. & Stuart, L. The role of Visualisation in the study of Computer Programming. In Proceedings Psychology of Programming Interest Group, Cambridge, September 2017.
- Almansour, F., & Stuart, L. Promoting the use of Design Evaluation Techniques within Software Development. In BCS HCI, (2014).
- Tucker, R., Barlow, N. & Stuart, L. The Background and Importance of Exploiting Multiple Cores: A Case Study in Neurophysiological Visualization. Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, pp 352-358, 2012.
- L.S. Smith, J. Austin, S. Baker, R. Borisyuk, S. Eglen, J. Feng, K. Gurney, T. Jackson, M. Kaiser, P. Overton, S. Panzeri, R. Quian Quiroga, S.R. Schultz, E. Sernagor, V.A. Smith, T.V. Smulders, L. Stuart, M. Whittington, C. Ingram. The CARMEN e-Science pilot project: Neuroinformatics work packages, Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2007, Nottingham, UK, 10th-13th September 2007.
- Somerville, J., Barlow, N., Stuart, L.J. Easy Grocery: 3D Visualization in Online Shopping, IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV06, 539-544, 2006.
- Stuart L., Marocco D., Cangelosi A. Information Visualization for Knowledge Extraction in Neural Networks, In W. Duch, J. Kacprzyk, E. Oja & S. Zadrozny (Eds.) Artificial Neural Networks: Formal Models and Their Applications - ICANN 2005. 15th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (Part II) (LNCS 3697).Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 515-520, 2005.
- Barlow, N., Stuart, L.J. Animator: A Tool for the Animation of Parallel Coordinates, In Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV04, 725-730, 2004.
- Marocco D., Stuart E.J., Cangelosi A., Visualization techniques in artificial life: The method of parallel coordinates. 1st Italian Workshop on Artificial Life, Universita’ della Calabria. (in Italian), September 2003.
- Stuart, L., Walter, M., Borisyuk, R., Analysis of Visualization of multi-dimensional Spike Trains using Visualization, Proceedings of 5th International workshop Neural Coding'2003, 99-102, 2003.
- Walter, M., Stuart, L., Borisyuk, R. Spike Train Correlation Visualization, 7th IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization, IV03, 555-560, 2003.
- Stuart, E.J., Bustard, D.W., Weston, J.S. Information Visualization in Numerical Analysis, In Proceedings of the IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 250-257, 2001.
- Singh, S., Stuart, E. A Pattern Matching Tool for Time-Series Forecasting, 14th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR98), 103-105, 1998.
- Stuart, E.J., Weston, J.S. PAVE: Parallel Algorithms Visually Explored, A Prototype Tool for the Investigation of Data Structures in Parallel Numerical Iterative Algorithms, IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 522-529, 1995.
- Stuart, E. J., Weston, J.S. An Algorithm for the Parallel Computation of Subsets of Eigenvalues and Associated Eigenvectors of Large Symmetric Matrices using an Array Processor, IEEE Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 211-217, 1992.
Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’10), Banissi, E., Stuart, L., et al. (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, 2010.
Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’09), Banissi, E., Stuart, L., et al. (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, July 2009.
Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’07), Banissi, E., Stuart, L., Jern, M., Andrienko, G., Marchese, F.T., Memon, N., Alhajj, R., Wyeld, T.G., Burkhard, R.A., Grinstein, G., Groth, D., Ursyn, A., Maple, C., Faiola A. and Craft, B., (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, July 2008.
Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Information Visualization (IV’07), Banissi, E., Burkhard, R.A., Grinstein, G., Cvek, U., Trutschl, M., Stuart, L., Wyeld, T.G., Andrienko, G., Dykes, J., Jern, M., Groth, D. and Ursyn, A. (Editors), IEEE Computer Society Press, July 2007.
- SPAX #2 - Rehabilitation Planner - Desktop application for critical care staff to generate bespoke rehab plans - November 2019. Note, this is linked to the SPAX #3 which is the mobile app for patients (also so staff can monitor their engagement in their rehab).
- SPAX #1 - Patient Overview - Information Visualization of Critical Care patient data - July 2019
VISA Carmen Cross Correlation Service released – 20th July 2012.
- 2005 - 2009: Symposium organiser for IV-MAGIC, part of the annual IV Conference.
- 2003 - 2010: Member of the program committee for the IEEE International Conference on Information Visualization.
- 1998: Organising chair of the International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, ICAPR’98.