- FF15, Peninsula Allied Health Centre, Derriford Road, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8BH
Dr Julie Savage
School of Health Professions (Faculty of Health & Human Sciences)
Part-time (0.2 FTE) Lecturer in Optometry
Dr Julie Savage graduated from Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine with a BSc (Hons) in Physics in 1987. She returned to Imperial College in 1988 and completed a PhD, entitled "Spatial Vision in Normal and Albino Humans", in 1992. Following post-doctoral research fellowships at Derby, Keele and Aston Universities, she retrained as an optometrist, graduating with an MOptom from UMIST in 2001. Since then, she has worked in optometric practice in Yorkshire and Somerset, joining the optometry team at Plymouth University on a part-time basis in 2012. She spends one day a week at Plymouth and the rest of her time working in a busy independent optometric practice in North Somerset. She is passionate about vision, education and learning, and supervises a pre-registration optometrist and trainee dispensing optician in addition to her role as lecturer.
General Optical Council registered
Member of the College of Optometrists (MOptom)
Member of the Association of Optometrists
Member of the British Contact Lens Association
Module lead OPT202 Specialist Optometric Skills (Contact lenses and low vision)
- Morland, A.B., Ruddock, K.H. and Savage, C. J. (1989). The source of observer variation in the spectral response mechanisms of human vision. Eur. J. Neurosci. (suppl. 2), 77.
- Leuck, C.J., Crawford, T.J., Savage, C.J. and Kennard, C. (1990). Auditory-visual interactions in the generation of saccades in man. Exp. Brain Res. 82, 149-157.
- Alkhateeb, W.F., Morland, A.B., Ruddock, K.H. and Savage, C.J. (1990). Spatial, colour and contrast response characteristics of mechanisms which mediate discrimination of pattern orientation and magnification. Spatial Vision 5, 143-157.
- Dhanjal, S.S., Ruddock, K.H. and Savage, C.J. (1991). Audio-visual field mapping in human albinism. J. Physiol. 434, 10P.
- Gale, A.G., Pawley, E.F., Savage, C.J., Wilson, A.R.M. and Roebuck, E.J. (1993). Breast screening: A self-assessment programme for radiologists. Radiology 189, 169.
- Horberry, T.J., Savage, C.J., May, J.L., Gale, A.G. and Taylor, S.P. (1994). An evaluation of vision screeners for VDU users. In: Contemporary Ergonomics, Robertson, S.A. (Ed.), Taylor and Francis, London.
- Gale, A.G., Savage, C.J., Pawley, E.F., Wilson, A.R.M. and Roebuck, E.J. (1994). Breast screening: visual search and observer performance. In: Image Perception, Kundel, H.L. (Ed.), Proc.S.P.I.E. 2166, 66-75.
- Savage, C.J., Gale, A.G., Pawley, E.F. and Wilson, A.R.M. (1994). To err is human, to compute divine? In: Digital Mammography, Gale, A.G., Astley, S.M., Dance, D.R. and Cairns, A.Y. (Eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Gale, A.G., Savage, C.J. and Wilson, A.R.M. (1994). Radiological interpretation of mammographic images. In: Visual Seach IV, Gale, A.G., Carr, K. and Moorhead, I.R. (Eds.), Taylor and Francis, London.
- Savage, C.J. and Foster, D.H. (1995). Curvature channels for curved-line-target detection. Perception 24 ECVP Abstract Supplement.
- Savage, C.J. and Foster, D.H. (1996). Target detection and texture segmentation in briefly presented displays of curved-line elements Perception 25 ECVP Abstract Supplement.
- Savage, C.J. and Foster, D.H. (1996) Effect of stimulus orientation on early visual processing of contour curvature Investigative Ophthalmology Visual Science 37(3) 1355.
- Savage, C.J., Mannan, S., Foster, D.H. and Ruddock K.H. (1997) Asymmetries in saccade latencies in an oriented line target detection task. Investigative Ophthalmology Visual Science 38(4) 3047.
- Foster D.H., Savage C.J., Mannan S. and Ruddock K.H.(2000) Asymmetries of saccadic eye movements in oriented-line-target search. Vision Res. 40(1):65-70.
- Foster, D.H. and Savage C.J. (2002). Uniformity and asymmetry of rapid curved-line detection explained by parallel categorical coding of contour curvature. Vision Res. 42(18):2163-2175.