Dr Ismini Vasileiou
Lecturer in Information Systems
School of Computing, Electronics and Mathematics (Faculty of Science & Engineering)
**SSTAR Award 2012 for the category "Most dedicated project supervisor"
Ismini Vasileiou is a Lecturer in Information Systems at Plymouth University, UK in the School of Computing and Mathematics, specialising in Database Development. Ismini is an active member of women in STEM community and part of a variety of committees and advisory groups supporting equality, diversity and inclusion. Being nominated twice for a WISE Advisor award, she is not only working towards an equal and diverse environment at her workplace, but also participating in international activities to promote and support women in STEM.
Ismini is a UK National Advisor for Peer Assisted Learning in Higher Education. Running PASS/PALS within SoCEM for 6 years now, she is gradually expanding across the school and co ordinating it. PALS is now available for all stage 1, Foundation pathways and PhD students.
She was recently nominated to become the SoCEM Athena Swan Champion and the chair for the Faculty's Equality and Diversity Committee.
BSc(Hons) PGCE EdD
Certified Supplemental Instruction/PASS Supervisor
Certified SAP User
Certified Flux Supervisor
Roles on external bodies
BCS South West branch Secretary
Database Development: SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Apex
Systems Analysis and Design
The IT Professional: SFIA Framework
Final Year Project Supervisor
ISAD251: Database Development in Oracle
ISAD353: Advanced Database Development and Data Mining
- Big Data
- Information Systems
- Computers in Education
- Social Networks, Security and Education
- Learning Analytics
- Socio-technical aspects
- Flexible/Blended/Distance/Online Learning
- The use of Cloud, IT/ICT in teaching and learning
- Peer learning in Higher Education STEM
- Gender issues in STEM
Grants & contracts
Key publications are highlightedJournals
Other academic activities
- TEDx Plymouth Theme: 'Evolutuion of Inspiration with' and the talk is "Unconsious Bias: Confronting Stereotypes, March 2017
- Invited for Unconscious Bias Training at the South West ICE Chairs’ Meeting, Exeter, December 2016
- "People Like Me", VC's Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth, June 2016
- "Flipped Classroom for Computing Students", VC's Digital Learning Conference, Plymouth, June 2016
- "Pink or Blue? Confronting the Stereotypes", Invited Talk for Go4SET EDT Awards Ceremony, Plymouth UK, May 2016
- "Empowering STEM", Invited talk for Go4SET Launch event, Plymouth UK, February 2016
- “The Geek Culture and Peer Learning”, VC’s Teaching and Learning Conference, Plymouth, June 2015
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Go4SET EDT Awards, Plymouth UK, May 2015
- "Women in STEM: Career Progression”, Women in STEM event part of the British Science Week at Plymouth University, March 2015
- “Women in IT”, invited talk, Bedfordshire BCS Student Chapter, Luton UK, February 2015.
- Invited Keynote Speaker, Women in STEM, Plymouth UTC UK, December 2014.
- Chair of Equality and Diversity Commitee for the Faculty of Science and Engineering, Plymouth University
- Chair of STEM SIG International Academic Peer Learning Leadership Group
- Athena Swan Champion for School of Computing, Electronics and Mathemtics, Plymouth University
- Mentor for women in STEM (in Greek)
- Member of the Plymouth University Women's network advisory group
- Shortlisted for the WISE Advisor Award 2012 and 2014
- Winner of the Plymouth University 2012 SSTAR Award 'Most dedicated project supervisor'