Dr Gursewak Aulakh
PhD (Reading), MSc (Nat Res Mgt) (WA), PG Dip L Arch (Hons) (SPA Delhi), BSc (Panjab), Cert in Art (Penrith NSW)
. Fellow Royal Geographical Society (FRGS)
. Registered Landscape Architect, Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (AILA)
Landscape design, Architecture and Landscape relationships, Landscape Urbanism, Landscape assessment and planning, Geographical information systems and land use analysis
Landscape vs architecture relationships
. Cultural politics of landscape
. Urban rural fringe
. Broad scale landscape assessment and planning problems
. GIS analysis of land use and landscape change
. GIS applications in land use conflict mediation/mitigation such as golf courses as a land use
Cordiale - Interreg iv project with Devon County Council, Tamar AONB and French partners amongst others
Creative practice & artistic projects
Worked on a number of landscape consultancy projects ranging from large scale environmental assessment to detailed design eg.
Environmental Assessment, recreational planning, resource management for an indigenous community in Broome, Western Australia
Landscape plans for industrial cities, shopping complexes, Asian games village complex - in several Asian countries
Published work and other scholarly activities:
§ . Abdollahnejad, Z. Watson, L. Aulakh, G. and Mackie, M. Critical Analysis of Jame Mosque Nomination File as World Heritage Site. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol 6, No. 4 August 2014.
§ . Porter, C and Aulakh G.S. (2014) Wellbeing by design: a case study of Hospice Gardens, forthcoming in Coles. R. Different Perspectives of Wellbeing to be published by Birmingham City University.
§ . Cahill, J. and Aulakh, G. Urban Farming Plymouth – myth or reality Paper submitted to 2nd International Conference on Urban Sustainability and Resilience to be held at UCL later this year.. Aulakh, G.S., Moore, S. and Parker, K (2014) Alleyways as ‘other’ spaces: life of the alleyway in Plymouth, paper submitted to Mediated City Conference, London - currently being revised.
. Porter, C and Aulakh G.S. (2013) Well being by design: a case study of Hospice Gardens, Paper presented at Wellbeing 2013 Conference at City University Birmingham, 24-25 July 2013.
. Aulakh, G.S., Loram A. (2013) Re-creating sustainable living environments within urban landscapes, full paper accepted at International Conference on “Changing Cities”: Spatial, morphological, formal & socio-economic dimensions, Skiathos island, Greece, June 18 to 21, 2013.
. Aulakh, G.S., Loram A. (2012) Re-creating sustainable living environments within urban landscapes, poster paper was accepted for presentation at International Conference on Urban Sustainability and Resilience, UCL London.
•Aulakh, G.S. (2010) Rock Garden Chandigarh, Cultural politics of Landscape, paper presented at Land and Water Research Group, University of Plymouth.
•Aulakh, G.S. (2006) GIS in recreation land use decision making - a case study of golf, paper prepared for Parks and Leisure Australia Conference, Sydney
• Aulakh, G.S., Thomas, C.F.G. and Tollington, S. (2005) Using friction surfaces to model gene pool movement across agricultural landscapes – final report to Seale Hayne Education Trust
• Aulakh, G.S. (2003) GIS in environmental conflict resolution, Parks and Leisure Australia - Queensland group seminar, Brisbane
• Aulakh, G.S. (2003) Accessibility of Countryside for Rural ‘others’ Parks and Leisure Australia conference, Perth
• Aulakh, G.S. (2001) Environmental management education in the UK seminars Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
• Aulakh, G.S. (1997) A Framework For Land Suitability Analysis - A Case Study of Golf In Berkshire, England doctoral thesis, Department of Geography, Reading University
• Aulakh, G.S. et. al. (1997) Internationalizing the Curriculum Across RMIT University, Commonwealth Staff Development Fund Internationalization Project Report, RMIT University
• Aulakh, G.S. (1997) Using GIS in Recreational Land Use Decisions Landscape, Environment and Planning Research Seminar Series, RMIT University
• Aulakh, G.S. (1996) Use of GIS in Planning Chinese planning delegation seminar series, RMIT University
• Aulakh, G.S. Burgess, J. and Mitcheltree, R. (1995) Keeping Country: The Sacred and the Profane The Big Sky: Landscape at the Pacific Edge Conference, Sydney
• Aulakh, G.S. with the RMIT Planning Team (1995) Keeping Country: A Final Report, for the Rubibi Working Group
• Aulakh, G.S. and Koukoulas, S. (1993) Finding New Sites for Golf Courses Using GIS, Mapping Awareness November, pp41- 43
• Aulakh, G.S. (1992) Using Quantitative Techniques for Land Evaluation for Recreation Human Geography and Planning Research Colloquia, Reading University
• Aulakh, G.S. (1988) Land Use Options: Lake Joondalup, Perth, Masters thesis, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Western Australia
• Aulakh, G.S. (1987) Alternative Methodologies for Land Use Planning National Conference Australian Institute of Landscape Architects, Perth
• Aulakh, G.S. (1985) The Relevance of Environmental Impact Statements to Development Projects in Third World Countries International Conference Environmental Impact Assessment, Kathmandu, Nepal
• Aulakh, G.S. and Bandhu, D. (1979) Environmental Education, Indian Environmental Society, New Delhi
• Aulakh, G.S. (1978) Landscape Design - Zoological Park Postgraduate Diploma thesis, Department of Landscape Architecture, School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi