Professor Duncan Lewis
Chair in Management
Plymouth Business School (Faculty of Business)
I am now a part-time Professor of Management with supervision and research responsibilities. I am no longer taking doctoral candidates for supervision.
PhD (Cardiff University)
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (FCIPD)
I teach on mainly Masters programmes in HR and Leadership topics.
I have recently completed two large ESRC funded research projects. The first with Ralph Fevre of Cardiff School of Social Sciences. Cardiff University was a nationwide study of negative behaviours in the workplace. If you are interested in receiving a copy of the practitioner report, please send me an email. The second piece of research that has just ended (Feb 2014) was also funded by the ESRC and was undertaken in conjunction with Helge Hoel at Manchester Business School and Anna Einarsdottir of Hull Business School. This study also involved a nationwide survey of lesbian, gay and bisexual employee experiences of discrimination, bullying and harassment in the workplace and utilised a complex mixed methods study of survey, interviews and focus groups. This study had the support of the Equality and Human Rights Commission. If you require a PDF of the report please email me.
Research degrees awarded to supervised students
I have supervised a number of students to successful completion of doctoral theses including PhD and DBA students including:
- 2016 Constantine Manolchev (PhD) - 'Precarity and Precasriousness - a study into the impact of low-pay, low-skill employment structures on the experiences of workers in the south west of Britain'
- 2014 Keith Davies (PhD) - ‘Emotional Dissonance Among UK Animal Technologists: Evidence, Impact and Management Implications’.
- 2013 Hazel Mawdsley (PhD) - ‘A Tri-partite study of Trade Union Intervention in Workplace Bullying: The Role of Collective Voice’.
- 2012 Melinda Drowley (DBA) - ‘Post-merger narratives in a high education context: re(constructing identity’.
- 2010 Joy Zhang (Ph.D.) – ‘Ethical Decision Making among Chinese and British Managers: An Exploratory Study’, with Dr. Simon Brooks
- 2010 Andrew Hunt (DBA) – ‘Exploring the Identity of Embedded Micro-consultants in an Organisation Change Environment’, with Dr. Paul Thomas
- 2009 Kemi Adewumi (Ph.D.) – ‘The Exploration of the Nature and Extent of Workplace Bullying in an Emergency Services Organisation in the UK’, with Professor Michael Sheehan
- 2009 Peter Williams (DBA) – ‘Third Party Intervention into Workplace Bullying: An Exploratory Study’, with Professor Michael Sheehan
- 2007 Javier De-Rentera (DBA) – ‘Pharmaceutical Lobbying in Argentina: a study of Pharmacopolitics’, with Professor Kerry Howell, Plymouth Business School
Grants & contracts
I have recently been a co-investigator on two large ESRC funded research grants: