- SF13, Peninsula Allied Health Centre, Derriford Road
Dr Anne Payne
School of Health Professions (Faculty of Health: Medicine, Dentistry and Human Sciences)
- Professional Lead in Nutrition & Dietetics
- BSc RD PhD FHEA
- British Dietetic Association
- The Nutrition Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Roles on external bodies
- Member of Education Board of the British Dietetic Association from Nov 2009
- Chair of HEI Group, British Dietetic Association, from October 2015
- Clinical dietetics
- Nutrition in neurological conditions
- Nutrition in childhood
- Evidence Based Practice
- Nutritional research methodology
Staff serving as external examiners
- External Examiner to Leeds Metropolitan University, for BSc (Hon) Human Nutrition & Dietetics, from 2005-2009.
- External Examiner in Nutrition for Coventry University from academic session 2010-2014
- External Examiner In Dietetics for Robert Gordon University Aberdeen, 2015 ongoing
- Research supervisor for students of MSc Paediatric Dietetic located nationally and internationally, undertaking this partnership programme with the Paediatric Group of the British Dietetic Association
- Director of Studies for 2 PhD students: (1) Management of phenylketonuria (PKU) (2) Management of paediatric food allergy.
- BDA GET award (2017-2018) for joint Plymouth University/ NHS Trust feasibility study investigating dietetic outcome measures.
PREVIOUS RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- Director of Studies for PhD investigating obesity in girls in Saudi Arabia, completed 2017.
- Director of Studies for PhD investigating the relationship between disability and nutritional status in Multiple Sclerosis (funded by Glasgow Caledonian University), completed 2010
- Research nutritionist for ‘Factors influencing clinical management in diabetic children’ (in collaboration with Dept. Psychology, Queen Margaret University College). A 3 year study from 2001 – 2004. Funded by the Scottish Executive.
Cardiovascular Research Unit, University of Edinburgh (1993 – 1996)
- The relationship between antioxidant intake, fatty acid intake and biochemical measures of oxidative stress. A 3 year study that involved 10 couples who provided 7 x 7-day weighed dietary records over an 18 month period.
- Nutritional and Health Impact of trans-Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in European Populations, the TRANSLinE Study.
- The influence of a diet high in polyunsaturated fatty acids on the activity of the delta-6-desaturase enzyme in man.
- The bioavailability of Lipid Oxidation Products in Man.
- The acceptability of the Mediterranean diet to Scottish patients surviving a myocardial infarction: The Monklands Pilot Study.
Department of Child Life and Health, The University of Edinburgh (1991 – 1993)
- An investigation of the relationship between energy expenditure, diet, growth and the blood lipid profile in childhood. The protocol for this work was designed to follow-on from my PhD thesis. It was funded by the Scottish Executive and obtained a ‘Highly Satisfactory’ rating on completion.
Department Child Life and Health, The University of Edinburgh (PhD 1987 – 1991)
- Nutrient intake and growth in pre-school children. This research obtained joint funding from The British Heart Foundation, Dairy Council and the Carnegie Trust.
Davey T,Lilley N, Caffery B, Kind E, Buckley D, White D, Payne A and FallowfieldJL (2013) The relationship between fruit and vegetable intake and trainingoutcomes in Royal Marine Recruits. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 72 (OCE4), E244 doi:10.1017/S0029665113002693
Epps S,Schmid A & Payne A (2013) Evaluation of a community weightmanagement service. NHD The Dietitians Magazine, 86, p7-10.
Chisholm V, Atkinson L, Donaldson C, Bayrami L, Noyes K, Payne A& Kelnar C (2012) An exploratory study of positive and incongruentcommunication in young children with type 1 diabetes and their mothers. ChildCare Health Dev., 40, 1,85–94
Chisholm V,Atkinson L, Donaldson C, Noyes K, Payne A & Kelnar C (2011) Maternalcommunication style, problem-solving and dietary adherence in young childrenwith type 1 diabetes. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry, 16, 3: 443-458.first published on December 30, 2010
Payne A & Barker MH (eds) (2010 )Advancing Dietetics and ClinicalNutrition. Elsevier, Oxford, UK.
Wrieden WL, Longbottom PJ, Adamson AJ, Ogston SA, Payne A , HaleemMA and Barton K (2008) Estimation of typical food portion sizes for children of different ages in the UK. British Journal of Nutrition 99, 1344-1353.
Chisholm V, Atkinson L, Donaldson C, Noyes K, Payne A &Kelnar C (2007) Predictors of treatment adherence in young children with type 1diabetes. Journal of Advanced Nursing 57 (5), 482-493.
Bennewith H, Weller B, O’Leary C, O’Reilly D, Duncan L, Wood L, Paul Land Payne A (2006) Supplement use and comparative differences in nutritional status amongst patients with multiple sclerosis. The Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: 65; 52A.
Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network: management of osteoporosis.Edinburgh: SIGN; 2003. (SIGN Publication No.71).
Riemersma RA, Wilson R, Payne A and Shepherd MJ (2003) Seasonal variation in copper-mediated low-density lipoprotein oxidation in vitro isrelated to varying plasma concentration of oxidised lipids in summer andwinter. Free Radical Research 37, 341-347.
Payne A (2001) Nutrition and diet in the clinical management of multiple sclerosis. Review. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 14, 349 - 357
Reports & invited lectures
- Supporting EuDAP & EU policy on health & well-being: dietitiansas nutrition educators of health professionals Invited oral presentation to theEuropean Federation of the Associations of Dietitians (EFAD), EFAD Conference,Amsterdam, October 2015
- Invited presentation on Evidence Based Practice or Practice Based Evidence, EFAD, Slovenia, October 2012
- Invited presentation on "Competencies and Proficiences for European Dietitians" to the European Federation of the Association of Dietitians (EFAD), September 2006.
- Invited presentation on "Nutritional Research and Ethics " to the British Dietetic Association Nutrtional Advisory Group for the Elderly, June 2005.
- Nutrition and Bone Health: presentations on behalf of SIGN (Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network) during 2004-05, following publication of SIGN Guideline 71, Management of Osteoporosis.
Other academic activities
- Reviewer for 'Nutrients' on-line journal, 2019
- Reviewer for Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics
- Reviewer for Cochrane Collaboration, 2012
- Joint editor of new Elsevier publication 'Advancing Dietetics & Clinical Nutrition', May 2010.
- Updated chapter on Multiple Sclerosis for 4th edition of Manual of Dietetic Practice (Ed Briony Thomas) 2007.
- Peer review of recent papers for the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics and of book proposal for Elsevier.