Mr Andy Grace
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Manager
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion - Health, Safety, EDI and Training (Human Resources)
- Equality and diversity
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Currently the University of Plymouth’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Manager and Associate Lecturer in the Plymouth Institute of Education in addition to being the host of the 'When did you Know?' Podcast on Spotify, Amazon, Apple Podcasts and Google.
Responsible for the delivery of a cost-effective and engaging programme of activities relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the University of Plymouth to better support staff, students and the local community and provide specialist advice and support to all staff in meeting the needs of a diverse staff and student community. These activities include the delivery of staff training, policy development, civic university activities and supporting the sustainable growth of University Staff Networks. Additionally, chair of the University of Sanctuary Action Group on implementing scholarships for asylum seekers and refugees and founder/chair of the LGBT+ Inclusion Taskforce ensuring all University practice, policy and procedure is welcoming to LGBT+ staff and students. Work in equality, diversity and inclusion is measured via the University's Equality Strategy, Athena Swan and Race Equality Charter Self-Assessment teams and via annual submissions to the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index.
Outside of my full-time EDI manager role I am experienced in coordinating international research projects in Israel and the Palestinian Territories as well as coordinating research projects in the U.K and am a confident and proficient public speaker having presented at several National Conferences and local television on the issues of diversity in Higher Education, LGBT+ inclusion and bilingual education in Israel and the Palestinian Territories.
MA Education (University of Plymouth)
- Masters of Education with an emphasis on education research in the areas of homophobia in British Education and the health and wellbeing of postgraduate students in the UK.
- First Class Degree with studies focussing on diversity and inclusion in education particularly the issue of homophobia in British Education. Wider studies also included the impact of politics, philosophy, creative interventions, feminism, child well-being and the history of worldwide education as well as contemporary international education.
- ITV National Diversity Award - LGBT Role Model (Nomination - March 2020)
- SSTAR Mel Joyner Award for Equality and Diversity (Nomination - May 2019)
- PedRIO Fellowship Award (2016)
- Roland Levinsky Memorial Award (2015)
- Treasurer for LGBT+ Staff Forum
- Member of British Education Studies Association
Roles on external bodies
- Chair - University of Plymouth LGBT+ Inclusion Taskforce
- Chair - University of Sanctuary Action Group
- Chair - Travelling with Protected Characteristics Working Group
- Project lead - OurTable
- Project lead - Furthering Research in Democratic Schools of Israel and the Palestinian Territories
Plymouth Institute of Education
- Benders, Breeders and Bullying (BA Education)
- Queer Issues in SRE (BA Education)
- A Queer Alternative (BA Education)
- Democratic Education in a Divided Israel (BA Education)
- Sex and Relationships Education: Queer Matters (BA Education)
- Understanding Privilege and Bias in Education (B.Ed)
School of Humanities and Performing Arts
- Understanding Privilege and Bias in Education (BA Acting)
- Understanding Privilege and Bias in Education (BA Dance)
- Understanding Privilege and Bias in Education (BA Drama and Theatre Practice)
- Queer Issues in Healthcare (BSc Nursing Adult Health)
- Queer Issues in Healthcare (BSc Nursing Child Health)
- Queer Issues in Healthcare (BSc Nursing Mental Health)
- Understanding Privilege and Bias (BSc Dietetics)
Staff serving as external examiners
- Trained Athena Swan panellist (Advance HE)
- Trained Race Equality Charter panellist (Advance HE)
Grants & contracts
- PedRIO Fellowship Award
- Roland Levinsky Memorial Award
Key publications are highlightedJournals