Ms Alison Theaker
Associate Lecturer (AP)
30 years experience in public relations, marketing and management as a practitioner, academic and author. Established business mentor and coach. Associate Lecturer in Plymouth Business School since 2016.
BA Hons 2 (i) Politics
University of York
PG Diploma, Public Relations
MA, Public Relations
NLP Coaching Practitioner
ILM Level 7 Certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring
PG Certificate in Learning &
Leeds Metropolitan University
Results Driven Training
Fellow, Chartered Institute of Public Relations
Member, Chartered Management Institute
Roles on external bodies
External examiner, London Metropolitan University
Entrepreneurship, public relations, management, marketing communications, marketing for small businesses, interpersonal management skills, assertiveness, motivation.
The role of mentoring for women entrepreneurs in a rural economy, PhD research, in progress at University of Bath
· The Public Relations Handbook, Routledge. (5th edn 2016). Main undergraduate text in UK. Turkish, Slovenian and Croatian translations. Vietnamese translation in preparation.
· The Public Relations Strategic Toolkit, with Heather Yaxley (Routledge, 2nd edn 2017).
· How to design an Online Corporate Training Programme, Conference on Corporate Communication, Banbury, 9 June 2008
· The Writing Project, Writing Development in HE, Strathclyde,25 June 2008
· “Motivating Students to Write Well” in Asia Pacific Public Relations Journal, Vol 8 April, 2008
· Motivating Students to Write Well, PRIA Academic Forum, Sydney, October 2007
· Licence to Operate – is Licensing the PR Future? Keynote speech at PRIA conference, Sydney, October 2007
· Effectively Functioning Campaign Teams: International PR Research Conference, Miami FL, March 2006. Joint research with Dr Suzanne Fitzgerald, NJ
· Effective Media Relations, with Michael Bland and David Wragg, (Kogan Page 3rd edition 2005)
· Effectively Functioning Campaign Teams, research paper presented at International PR research Conference Miami, March 2005 and Alan Rawel IPR Education Conference, University of Lincoln, 22 March 2005. Joint research with Dr Suzanne Fitzgerald, Rowan University, NJ.