Voted as one of the top providers of hospitality courses in the UK by both the Times and the Guardian newspapers, our courses in hospitality are designed to produce professional managers who have the skills to function and communicate in one of the world's fastest growing industries.
Taught within the Business Faculty you will be prepared to succeed in an exciting economic sector. Our programmes include:
- We have a unique qualification in Cruise Management that runs with the support of this industry's major operators.
- International hospitality management emphasises the language development necessary for the global application of industry specific skills.
- Tourism and hospitality management ensures those taking a more traditional route into operational management in the tourism sector have the necessary hospitality skills.
- The bedrock of our degree structure lies in the hospitality primary degree that develops a critical understanding of operational management in the industry. We provide our students with an invaluable opportunity to obtain current industry skills through participation in work based learning activities with industry partners.
Every year the hospitality team organises a range of specialist activities focusing on best practice and considering contemporary issues. These include:
- Tomorrow’s World: a half day conference with a key note lecture from our Visiting Fellow Tony Potter, a question time debate utilising the knowledge of a range of General Managers from the local area and alumni talks on research outcomes from honours project dissertations
- Field trips including: first year food and beverage learning journey to Glasgow; first year induction and industry orientation visit to Cardiff; first year cruise ship visit; second year feasibility and planning field trip to London; final year Champagne and Reims considering luxury products in the Hospitality industry; final year cruise conference in Bremerhaven. Masters students: Edinburgh field trip and Thurlestone Hotel considering competitive advantage
- Local field trips to Riverford Field Kitchen, Town Mill Bakery, Langage Farm, Eastcott Vineyard, St Austell Brewer and Plymouth Gin.
- Competition work includes supporting students to enter EMCUP – for European Hotel Schools (Amsterdam), Young Guns – for work placements.
- Additional initiatives – Career Investment Programme – introduced to support employability, provide access to specialist training and help students secure work placements
- Value Added – students are also encouraged to study the WSET Certificate 1 Food Safety, WSET Intermediate Level 2 Food Safety and to take additional qualifications to supplement their degrees and the CIEH Basic Food Hygiene certificate.
- Leadership course - Each summer we deliver a week long High Performance Leadership Programme aimed at high level performing officers within the cruise ship industry. This includes classroom based lectures and exercises to an activity day based around leadership and team dynamics at an activity centre.