There is one research institute, five research centres and eight research groups within the School of Marine Science and Engineering. They represent a wide diversity of research interests, and Information about the research being undertaken within these centres and groups can be found by visiting the individual websites listed here.
- Centre for Advanced Engineering Systems and Interactions (CAESI)
- Centre for Coastal and Ocean Science and Engineering (CCOSE)
- Centre of Excellence in Naval Oceanographic Research and Education (CENORE)
- Centre for Marine and Coastal Policy Research (MarCoPol)
- Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre (MBERC)