Placements & Employer Liaison Adviser
Pre-Placement module lead (Technology & Engineering)
Careers & Employability service
Increasingly so, employers are actively recruiting graduates with actual work experience behind them. This makes for a competitive graduate job market, but there are some simple choices you can make throughout your university experience that can really help you. Deciding on completing a ‘placement year’ is an excellent way to gain that competitive edge, in time for when the graduation schemes launch.
What are the key benefits of a placement year?
- Get a taste of your chosen career and gain self-confidence
- Earn some money whilst gaining experience. Placements on average pay between £14,000 and £19,000 per year, depending on location
- Gain professional knowledge and skills that will help you towards the successful completion of your final year of study
- Start building your own network of contacts and connections in industry
- Gain key ‘employability skills’. Employers favour graduates with real and relevant work
- Experience who then evidence graduate attributes and skills such as teamwork, communication, problem-solving
- Various placements can lead to full-time employment at graduate level, with the same company.
The computing degree students at the Plymouth University have been highly successful in obtaining positions in top-class companies. The students have taken on placements at well-known multinational companies, such as: IBM, Intel, HP and MicrosoftFind out more
On your placement, you will find yourself working with a whole range of professionals, from new Engineering graduates, right through to experts with years of experienceFind out more
A placement will help you develop across a wide range of mathematical and non-mathematical aspects of working life. In this context you can see the value of attention to detail, creative problem solving and abstraction in a whole host of areasFind out more
Careers and employability service
We offer students, graduates and employers quality and impartial information, advice and guidance. Whether you are a student looking for part-time work, a graduate wanting to kickstart your career or an employer looking to raise your profile or promote specific jobs, we can help.