Our PGCE Secondary programmes have an excellent reputation for the support they receive in schools. Your school placements will form the foundation of your teacher training.
We work in close partnership with all our placement schools,
working together to support trainees and develop the course. We have an
extensive range of schools within the partnership and endeavour to give
trainees a broad experience between the two placements. Trainees go into
placement early on in the course to see the links between theory and practice.
There is also a short primary experience with a focus on transitions and
- Practical Teaching 1: Shorter placement before Christmas
which allows trainees to begin with observations, building to whole class
- Practical Teaching 2: This placement starts after Christmas and the trainees continue to increase their teaching timetable and autonomy in the classroom.
we can’t always guarantee specific placement requests, our Partnership Office
will make the best possible arrangement based on the availability of
appropriate schools and your individual needs.
When selecting your placement school we consider the following:
- Your previous experience of teaching
- Any individual circumstance that may affect placements
- Whether schools have particular subject strengths that you need to experience
- Whether schools provide opportunities for A level teaching
- The size of the school
- The location of the school.
Peninsula Teaching School Partnership
We work in collaboration with the Peninsula Teaching School Partnership to offer School Centred Initial Training places in Cornwall. Successful applicants will be supported in school by experienced SCITT mentors and have face to face sessions with Plymouth Institute of Education tutors who deliver the PGCE element in Cornwall. For further information please visit the Peninsula Teaching School Partnership website.