Information for employers
At the University of Plymouth we understand some of the challenges employers have in developing and retaining highly skilled employees and we are excited to be offering the Registered Nurse (Adult Health, Child health, Mental Health) Degree Apprenticeship, which has been designed to offer a flexible degree level work based learning programme which meets the standards set by the NMC and which It aligns with Health Care Employers strategic objectives and goals around workforce planning.
Typically, the programme is offered over three years, however experienced health care practitioners with relevant experience and qualifications (800 – 1150 hours clinical experience, mathematics and English minimal level 2 functional skills and relevant FdSc programme leading to Assistant Practitioner/Nursing Associate status or equivalent with an overall grade of 60% or higher) can complete the programme within 18 months to two years.
This programme meets the standards set by the NMC, we are in the process of re-approval based on the 2019 NMC standards, as part of re-approval we are offering a full time and part time flexible programme.
Degree apprenticeships in practice
Your apprentice will have ongoing support of an academic tutor for the duration of the programme as well as receiving guidance and support from their mentors during clinical placement.
Your organisation will be supported by a named nurse academic and our apprenticeship manager who is responsible for the contractual and tripartite arrangements with the employing organisation.
They will be able to guide you through the contractual process and will arrange to meet with the apprentice and a representative from your organisation on a 12 weekly basis. As per NMC requirements the apprentice will be supernumerary for the duration of the programme and will be required to have clinical placements in a variety of settings.
Fees and funding
There are two funding models:
Levy paying employer
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3 million you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account and is fully funded by you as the employer. Once you have exceeded the spend on your Levy account you will then move to the co-funded model where you will pay 10% of the cost and the government will co-fund this by 90%.
Non levy paying employer
If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will financial co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 90% of the costs and you will support this with the remaining 10%.
Additional financial incentives:
Employers with fewer than 50 employees will have 100% of the training and assessment costs covered when training a 16-18 year old (or 19-24 year old formerly in care or has Local Authority Education, Health and Care plan. The government will pay £1,000 to employers, and a further £1,000 to training providers if they train a 19-24 year old leaving care or who have a Local Authority Education, Health and Care plan. By studying a degree apprenticeship, students will obtain a full honours degree, at no cost to the individual. Fees are paid by the employer and supported by government funding (up to 90% of the cost).
Total course cost £27,000 for three year route and £18,000 for shortened programme. Note: to be confirmed for 2019
Example of costs for funding model:
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3 million you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account. If you have exceeded your levy contribution you will fund apprenticeship training through the co-funded model – to better understand how this will work please make contact with us.
Employer contribution £27,000, pending confirmation of 2019 fees.
Apprentices contribution £0.
If you are a non-levy paying organisation (the annual pay bill of your organisation is less than £3 million) or you are a Levy organisation who has exceeded their pot, the government will financially co-support your apprenticeship training – they will contribute 90% of the costs and the employer will contribute 10%.
- Government contribution £24,300.
- Employer contribution £2,700.
- Apprentice contribution £0.
Find out more
For further information contact Enterprise Solutions at the University of Plymouth on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 800 052 5600, to be put in touch with the relevant Degree Apprenticeship Account Manager.