- management of
- early drug
development and translational medicine
- clinical trials –
set-up and running of large numbers of clinical trials, from early phase to
late phase studies
- providing early access to novel drugs for patients.
Examples of key studies include:
Organ preservation in bladder cancer
Our research in this area moved all the way from
- Early phase I study (Hussain et al Annals of Oncology 2001) to
- Phase II efficacy study (Hussain et al BJC 2004) leading to
- Cancer Research UK funded study BC2001 trial reported in New England Journal of Medicine (James, Hussain, Hall et al April 2012).
This study has now changed the standard of care for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer opting for organ preservation treatment.
Split dose cisplatin in bladder cancer
Our work has extended the spectrum of patients receiving cisplatin based chemotherapy (Hussain et al BJC 2004).
Professor Syed Hussain
Oncology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
Consultant in Medical Oncology, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Bladder cancer – finding new treatments and raising awareness
Following his recent publication of a study in The Lancet, Professor Hussain discusses a potential new treatment for bladder cancer, and explains why tackling the disease is so importantRead the full article from Syed Hussain and link to his Lancet publication
Andronis L, Hussain SA, et al.
2017 'Cost-effectiveness of zoledronic acid and
strontium-89 as bone protecting treatments in addition to chemotherapy in
patients with metastatic castrate-refractory prostate cancer: results from the
TRAPEZE trial (ISRCTN 12808747)' BJU International119, (4), 522-529.
- Hussain S, Palmer D, Syn W-K, Sacco J, Greensmith R, Elmetwali T, Aachi
V, Lloyd B, Jithesh P & Arrand J 2017 'Gene expression
profiling in bladder cancer identifies potential therapeutic targets' International
Journal of Oncology, 50, (4), 1147-1159. Read article
Necchi A, Hussain S, et al.
2017 'Robot-assisted Versus
Open Radical Cystectomy in Patients Receiving Perioperative Chemotherapy for
Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer: The Oncologist’s Perspective from a Multicentre
Study' European Urology Focus , Read article.
- Choudhury A, West CM, Porta N, Hall E, Denley H, Hendron C, Lewis R,
Hussain SA, Huddart R & James N 2017 'The predictive and
prognostic value of tumour necrosis in muscle invasive bladder cancer patients
receiving radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy in the BC2001 trial
(CRUK/01/004)' British Journal of
Cancer 116, (5) 649-657 , Read article.
- Powles T, Hussain S, et al. 2016 'A Randomised Phase 2 Study of AZD2014 Versus Everolimus in Patients with VEGF-Refractory Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cancer' European Urology 69, (3) 450-456 , Read article.