COVID-19 Funding Calls


Many research funders have launched calls to help address the COVID-19 pandemic and its impacts. This page includes links to selected funding opportunities and to related external pages where you can access more information.  

Please view our Applying for Funding page for guidance and support with your application.

Highlighted funding calls

Calls addressing the COVID-19 challenge in the UK and internationally

NIHR COVID-19: Recovery and Learning call

This cross-programme call supports research to better understand and manage the health and social care consequences of the global COVID-19 pandemic beyond the acute phase.

  • This call has two deadlines (all 1 pm): 23 June and 14 July 2020.
  • The maximum project duration is 24 months.

UKRI open call for ideas that address COVID-19

Open to proposals across the remit of UKRI that address and mitigate the health, social, economic, cultural and environmental impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak. A list of priority research questions is available.

  • This call has no deadline.
  • The maximum project duration is 18 months.

Calls addressing the COVID-19 challenge in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs)

DHSC/UKRI Global effort on COVID-19 (GECO) health research call

A new cross-government funding call aiming to support applied health research that will address COVID-19 knowledge gaps. The focus is on understanding the pandemic and mitigating its health impacts in LMICs.

  • This call has three deadlines (all 12 noon): 22 June, 10 August and 28 September.

UKRI GCRF/Newton Fund Agile Response call to address COVID-19

Proposals are invited for short-term projects addressing and mitigating the health, social, economic, cultural and environmental impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak in LMICs.

  • This call has no deadline.
  • The maximum project duration is 18 months.

Repurposing existing UKRI funding for COVID-19 research

Apply to switch your existing UKRI funding to Covid-19 priority areas

The research to be undertaken must address one of the following:

  • New research or innovation with a clear impact pathway that has the potential (within the period of the grant) to deliver a significant contribution to the understanding of—and response to—the COVID-19 pandemic and its impacts.
  • Supports the manufacture and/or wide-scale adoption of an intervention with significant potential.
  • Gathers critical data and resources quickly for future research use.

Please note that no subsequent extension to the grant or additional costs will be allowed in order to meet the original objectives where these were altered to permit new COVID-19 research.

Useful links

  • Research Professional has granted open access to a list of current funding calls related to COVID-19. As a member of the University of Plymouth, you can gain full access to Research Professional by registering for an account. Our Research Professional page explains how to do this.  
  • The European Commission has an open access page for updates that relate to EU research and innovation funding.

Special Approval Process

Please note that this process is no longer operating. See the Application Process Flowchart for information on the standard process. 

Project Ideas and Expert Directory

If you have an idea for a COVID-19 project and are looking for collaborators or would like to offer your expertise to other teams, we would like to add you to our directory, which is accessible to University of Plymouth staff. If you would like to add information, please contact  

Parliament's Expert Database

Over the past few weeks, Parliament has seen a surge in need for access to research expertise as it engages with the COVID-19 outbreak. In this rapidly evolving situation, Parliament needs quick access to researchers who can provide expert insights relating to both Coronavirus and its impacts.  

To speed up the process of Parliament accessing relevant research expertise, Parliament’s Knowledge Exchange Unit (KEU) is creating a COVID-19 Outbreak Expert Database. If you feel you have any expertise relating to the COVID-19 outbreak or its impacts, the KEU would be very grateful if you would sign up to the database. Signing up does not commit you to contributing in any way.

A link to the sign-up form.