Can you capture the essence of research in an eye-catching photographic image?
The University’s Doctoral College invites postgraduate research students and research staff to submit an eye-catching photographic image and interpretation for the Images of Research competition, as part of the Research Festival 2021.
The aim is to capture the true essence of their research through a powerful image, which will then be exhibited to the public for the duration of the University’s Research Festival 28 June –2 July 2021, showcasing the quality and wide-ranging research taking place at the University of Plymouth.
Prizes of research travel or training funding will be awarded for:
- Best photographic image –
Research Staff category and Postgraduate Research category
First place for each of the two categories will be awarded £150
Second place for each of the two categories will be awarded £100
- Best description of image –
First place will be awarded £100
Second place will be awarded £50
The Images of Research competition voting will take place online between 28 June – 2 July. The exhibition will remain on display throughout the Research Festival.
- All University of Plymouth current postgraduate research students including: ResM/MPhil/PhD/Professional Doctorates are eligible to enter.
- All University of Plymouth Research Staff are eligible to enter.
- You can enter as an individual or group.
- Each entry includes a photographic image and 150-word description, which will be printed and displayed together on poster boards. Descriptions will explain your image to a public audience.
- An entry can include a single image or a collage of images.
- Up to 3 entries can be submitted from each individual or group.
- Photographic images must be your own original work and not previously published.
- Your photographic images will show, represent or convey the essence of your research.
- Your photographic images and description of images will be reviewed by the Doctoral College to confirm suitability and entry into the competition.
- Photographic images and descriptions will be selected to appear on the University of Plymouth web pages.
How to enter
If you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements, then please email your submissions to email@example.com with:
- Your photographic image
- 150 words description
- Your name, and your School/Department
- Confirmation of whether you're submitting for the postgraduate student category or research staff category
- Confirmation of whether you're submitting as an individual or a group
Entries must be received by 14 May 2021 to be included in the competition and exhibition.
Follow the conversation with #PlymResFest
Research Festival 2021: 28 June - 2 July 2021
Celebrating the very best of Plymouth's rich and varied research, creating an impact – from local to global.Take a look at the full programme of events
Find out more about the Doctoral College and the support it offers students, supervisors and examiners of postgraduate research at the University of Plymouth.Supporting excellence and employability across all stages of the researcher journey