OelResNet digest 20.07.2018
- Funding for outdoor learning announced by new Environment Secretary
- Wild Tribe day at the beach enjoyed by all!
OelResNet digest 06.07.2018
- NHS Forest Newsletter June 2018.
- Natural Learning Intiative.
- All past articles from AJOE/JOEE are now available online via our Springer site.
- Poole Farm Community Forum, 26 July 2018, 16.00-18.00, Plymouth, UK.
- International Adventure Conference 2019, 17-21 June 2019, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland.
- Poole Farm Woodland Rangers Holiday Club.
OelResNet digest 25.05.2018
- Educating in the Outdoors, 6 June 2018, webinar
OelResNet digest 11.05.2018
- EOE 2018 Conference - The Mediation of Experiences by Technology in the Outdoors, 19-23 Semtember 2018, Bohinjsko Jezero, Slovenia
- Dartmoor Research Day, 17 July 2018, Newton Abbot, UK
- Teaching Prehistory Outside the classroom – with Celtic Harmony, 10 September 2018, Hertfordshire, UK
OelResNet digest 27.04.2018
- CLOtC Annual Conference and Awards, 22 November 2018, the Black Country Living Museum, Dudley
OelResNet digest 13.04.2018
- Outdoor learning grows in Scotland as grasp of benefits takes root
- Spring Equinox Embercombe Newsletter March 2018
- Nature Connections 2018 conference, 20 June 2018, University of Derby
- Call for proposals: 2018 AORE WEA Joint National Conference, October 24-26, 2018, Snowbird, UT
- Valuing Nature Annual Conference 13 - 14 November 2018, Museum of Cardiff, Wales. Full details will be available from the Valuing Nature Programme website.
OelResNet digest 16.03.2018
- Poole Farm March Newsletter
- Can a school trip change children’s attitudes to nature?
- Open Air Laboratories empower a million new citizen scientists to explore nature
- Effectiveness of a childhood obesity prevention programme delivered through schools, targeting 6 and 7 year olds: cluster randomised controlled trial (WAVES study)
- Parents encouraged to let their children explore the great outdoors
- Improving children's access to nature starts with addressing inequality
- Blooming marvellous – how environment studies grew on our school
- PhD Understanding climate adaptation behaviour, University of Groningen
- New Natural Infrastructure Assistant post, Deadline: 25 March 2018
- Environment Leader sought for AONB Vice-Chair, Deadline: 16 April 2018
- Learning outside formal education: opportunities and threats for philosophy-inspired practices, A seminar led by Graeme Tiffany, 18 April 2018, 15:00–17:00, University of Plymouth, Plymouth
- Valuing Nature: Should We Put a Price on Ecosystems? An online course starting on 19 March 2018
- Outdoor learning – growing the mindset: A global perspective on promoting advantage for all children through the use of the outdoors to redress vulnerability, 18 May 2018, Florida
- Dartmoor Research Day, 17 July 2018, Dartmoor National Park
- Outdoor Learning in Nature Fund, Deadline: 30 April 2018
- Volunteering at Cheltenham Science Festival 2018, 3–11 June 2018
OelResNet digest 02.03.2018
- Outdoor Learning Officer Pendle Hill, Lancashire. Deadline: 7 March 201
- Bi-national PhD Fellowship, Montpellier, France & Bremen, Germany.
- Learning outside formal education: opportunities and threats for philosophy-inspired practices, A seminar led by Graeme Tiffany, 18 April 2018, 3-5pm, Plymouth University, Plymouth.
- The 2018 Spring Summit on Children's Outdoor Play and Learning, Spring 2018 Early Years Summit, 26 March-1 April 2018
- Summer School on Environmental Psychology, 18-21 June 2018, at the Baltic Sea - Island of Vilm.
Call for book paper
- Call for Papers for a Special Feature of Sustainability Science “Theoretical traditions in social values for sustainability”, Deadline: 16 March 2018
OelReNet digest 16.02.2018
- Denmark's first professor in primary school and out-pedagogy (Danmarks første professor i udeskole og udepædagogik), please use google translate to read.
The University of Edinburgh - Education, Teaching and Leadership, closes 1 March 2018
Short-term part-time RA role
Might suit grad students, recruiting for a research assistant to work on a small research project involving people’s perceptions of the concept of nature connection. It would suit someone with a social science background capable of qualitative analysis.
Pay is in the order of £14.35 per hour, + option to enrol in pension. Investigating the concept of nature connection.
The term nature connection (and related terms nature connectedness, connection to nature, connectedness to nature) is used by people from a range of academic and practitioner backgrounds. There are a range of academic perspectives working in this field from those interested in environmental / sustainability issues, and environmental education, through to those interested in health / wellbeing and psychology. The term nature connection appears to be used and understood very differently by different communities of research and practice. In collaboration with academics from Cumbria and Sheffield Hallam universities, I am undertaking a survey of those engaged in research and practice related to nature connection to gain a better insight on what these different stakeholder communities understand by the term nature connection, including those who work with nature connection as a recognised construct as part of their work, and those who use the term more generally.
Through an online survey system (Qualtrics) participants will be asked to define nature connection in 50 words. They will also be asked some background information to enable us to characterise the respondent (while remaining anonymous) and associate definitions with different groups of respondents: practitioner, academic, disciplinary background etc. Analysis of responses will be by content or thematic analysis, using NVIVO or similar. Through the work, the student will learn to use online survey and data analysis software, and develop a data base of relevant literature on the topic. The findings will underpin further work on a systematic review of nature connection in the academic literature, and a bid for funding for further research on the nature connection – health – wellbeing nexus.
Contact: Frances Harris: email@example.comSurvey
• Nature Connections Research Network survey
Call for Book Chapter
• Contemplations in Health and Wellbeing: Re-calibrating the Sustainable Development Goals’ Agenda. Deadline 20 February 2018
OelResNet digest 19.01.18
- Derriford Community Park Access Networks survey
- Can Your Child’s Phone Bring Them Closer to Nature?
- When It Comes to Walking in a Park or Down a City Street, a Study Finds Not All Exercise Is Created Equal
- As Modern Life Retreats From Nature, Science Documents Its Healing Powers
- Being ‘OUT’ in the Outdoors
- Developing a common Quality Assurance framework for Green Care: Kathryn Rossiter (Thrive) and Rachel Bragg (Care Farming UK) members of the National Outdoors for All Working Group (and Rachel is also a member of the OfA SRG) have asked me to share this opportunity with you for a research partner for work in ‘Developing a common Quality Assurance framework for Green Care’. The deadline for expressions of interest is 22 January. EOI and any queries etc please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outdoor Play and Early Learning Policy Research Invitational Symposium, 24-26 October 2018, Ontario, Canada. Abstract submission deadline: 26 January 2018.