- We will carry out research and innovation that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour, whilst playing a pivotal role in innovation, knowledge exchange, and enterprise.
- We will support the conditions needed for world-class research and innovation to flourish and continue to ensure that our research is built on strong ethical foundations.
- We will help create the highest quality research environment and culture to support research opportunities and partnerships.
- Our research will ‘make a difference’, addressing fundamental and strategically important questions, and delivering economic, social and cultural impact at regional national and international levels.
- We will connect disciplines in novel ways, engaging with stakeholders and funders and promoting public engagement and understanding.
Research and innovation strategy
Find out more about the University's research and innovation strategy.Read the strategy
Goals: achieving our research and innovation potential
1. Align our research around world-class institutes and centres
2. Establish a sustainable financial base for research and innovation activity by enabling our researchers, supported by our professional staff, to secure funding from a wide range of sources.
3. Build on our current strengths and develop those areas with potential and strategic fit, including expanding clinically relevant research
within our Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry.
4. Nurture student learning and the researchers of tomorrow by excelling in research-informed teaching, providing undergraduate opportunities in research, and supporting our post-graduate and PhD students and early-career researchers.
5. Pursue appropriate research partnerships and collaborations with
other universities and regional, national and international organisations and
6. Create conditions and pathways that support the exchange of
knowledge and technology with businesses and other organisations,
including the commercialisation of research outcomes for public good.
7. Enhance public engagement in, and understanding of research and innovation through a range of channels and media, including our community research awards scheme.
Our vision, mission and values
Our vision: to be the enterprise university.Find out more about our vision, mission and values
Our University strategy and supporting strategies.Read more on our strategy
Translating strategy through the University
Our strategy is translated and delivered from high-level ambitions to local level actions throughout the University and with our partners. It is a process that connects strategy to people, offering sufficient freedom and flexibility to capture creativity and sustain enterprising behaviours.
Guided by our values and leadership principles, Plymouth University’s Strategy 2020 will help deliver strong performance and sustainable outcomes that result in reputational gain as we deliver on our mission of ‘advancing knowledge and transforming lives through education and research’.