The Research Excellence Framework 2014 results confirmed our position as a dynamic research institution and one leading the charge for modern universities in the UK. The results reveal the international quality of our research right across the spectrum of health and medicine, business, arts and social sciences; transforming lives and underpinning the quality of our research-informed approach to teaching and learning.
Each subject submission was also graded according to the impact of the work, and the research environment, such as the amount of funding received and the number of PhD students in each area. A university-wide success story, our results are a testament to the talent that permeates every area of expertise at the University of Plymouth.
Key highlights include:
- Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, which includes marine, environmental chemistry and geology, was the University’s highest-rated submission, with 85% of its research graded at 3 or 4 stars.
- Computer Science and Informatics, Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience, and Clinical Medicine all registered scores of around 80%
- The University of Plymouth Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry ranked 13th overall, and first in the country in terms of the medical research ‘outputs’, based upon the quality of its publications and the number of citations.
- University of Plymouth to receive increased funding for research 27 March 2015
- National recognition for the University of Plymouth medical research 29 January 2015
- Plymouth recognised for world-leading clinical medicine research 18 December 2014
- From medicine to music - world-class research across the board at the University of Plymouth 18 December 2014