Areas of research:
- the role of macrophages and endothelial cells in initiating and propagating oral cancers
- the link between oral bacteria and systemic vascular disease
- understanding inflammatory mechanisms and bacterial pathogenesis during periodontal disease
- mechanisms of lipopolysaccharide induced microvascular inflammation and pathophysiology
- the role of inflammatory and endothelial cells in the development of salivary gland disease
- investigating the molecular mechanisms involved in modulation of osteoclast function
- investigating molecular mechanisms of mesenchymal stem cell – cell interactions in oral tissues
- developing 3-Dimensional models for studying oral disease mechanisms
- inter-professional education in undergraduate dental programmes.
- Dr Bing Hu, Peninsula Dental School
- Dr Sveta Zaric, Peninsula Dental School
- Dr Vehid Salih, Peninsula Dental School
- Dr Raul Bescos Garcia, School of Health Professions
- Ms Clare McIlwaine, Peninsula Dental School
- Jane Collingwood, Peninsula Dental School
- Dr Daniel Zahra, Peninsula Medical School
- Dr Jon Bennett, Peninsula Dental School
We are currently collaborating with researchers at University of Sheffield, University of Exeter and University of Leicester on specific research projects
Recent selected publications
McGown CC, Brookes ZL, Hellewell PG, Ross JJ, Brown NJ. Atorvastatin reduces endotoxin-induced microvascular inflammation via NOSII. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2015;388:557-64. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00210-015-1100-y
Alfieri A, Ong AC, Kammerer RA, Solanky T, Bate S, Tasab M, Brown NJ, Brookes ZL. Angiopoietin-1 regulates microvascular reactivity and protects the microcirculation during acute endothelial dysfunction: role of eNOS and VE-cadherin. Pharmacol Res 2014; 80:43-51. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661813002818?via%3Dihub
Brookes ZL, Stedman EN, Brown NJ, Hebbes CP, Guerrini R, Calo G, Reilly CS, Lambert DG.The Nociceptin/Orphanin FQ Receptor Antagonist UFP-101 Reduces Microvascular Inflammation to Lipopolysaccharide In Vivo. PLoS One 2013; 8(9):e74943. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0074943
Brookes ZL, Ruff L, Upadhyay VS, Huang L, Prasad S, Solanky T, Nauli SM, Ong AC. Pkd2 mesenteric vessels exhibit a primary defect in endothelium-dependent vasodilatation restored by rosiglitazone. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013; 304(1):H33-41.
Alfieri A, Watson JJ, Kammerer RA, Tasab M, Progias P, Reeves K, Brown NJ, Brookes ZL. Angiopoietin-1 variant reduces LPS-induced microvascular dysfunction in a murine model of sepsis. Crit Care. 2012; 16(5):R182. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3682284/pdf/cc11666.pdf
Lawton BK, Brown NJ, Reilly CS, Brookes ZL. Role of L-type calcium channels in altered microvascular responses to propofol in hypertension. Br J Anaesth. 2012;108(6):929-35.
Reeves KJ, Brookes ZL, Reed MW, Brown NJ. Evaluation of fluorescent plasma markers for in vivo microscopy of the microcirculation. J Vasc Res. 2012; 49(2):132-43.
McGown CC, Brown NJ, Hellewell PG, Brookes ZL. ROCK induced inflammation of the microcirculation during endotoxemia mediated by nitric oxide synthase. Microvasc Res. 2011; 81(3):281-8. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026286211000331?via%3Dihub
Debono M, Sheppard L, Irving S, Jackson P, Butterworth J, Brookes ZL, Newell-Price J, Ross JJ, Ross RJ. Assessing adrenal status in patients before and immediately after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011; 164(3):413-9. http://www.eje-online.org/content/164/3/413.long
McGown CC, Brown NJ, Hellewell PG, Reilly CS, Brookes ZL. Beneficial microvascular and anti inflammatory effects of pravastatin during sepsis involve nitric oxide synthase III. Br J Anaesth 2010; 104(2):183-90.
Brookes ZL, McGown CC, Reilly CS. Statins for all: the new premed? Br J Anaesth 2009;103(1): 99-107.
Chamberlain J, Francis SE, Brookes ZL, Alp NJ, Arnold ND, Shaw G, King K, Graham D, Rogus J, Huttner K, Kornman K, Dower S, Crossman DC. Interleukin-1 regulates multiple atherogenic mechanisms in response to fat feeding. PLoS One 2009; 4(4):e5073. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0005073
Brookes ZL, Stedman EN, Calo G, Guerrini R, Lambert DG Proinflammatory and vasodilator effects of nociceptin/orphanin FQ in the rat mesenteric microcirculation are mediated by histamine. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007; 293(5):H2977-85.
McGown CC, Brookes ZL. Beneficial effects of statins on the microcirculation during sepsis: the role of nitric oxide. Br J Anaesth. 2007; 98(2):163-75.
Belfield LA, Bennett JH, Abate W, Jackson SK. Exposure to Porphyromonas gingivalis LPS during macrophage polarisation leads to diminished inflammatory cytokine production, Archives of Oral Biology. 2017; 81: 41-47. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003996917301310
Zaric S and Belfield LA. Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) with immediate feedback in early (pre-clinical) education. Creative Education. 2015 6(6): 585-593. http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=55772
Merry R, Belfield LA, McArdle P, McLennan A, Crean S, Foey A. Oral health and pathology: a macrophage account. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2012 50(1): 2-7. http://www.bjoms.com/article/S0266-4356(11)00011-8/fulltext