FAQs for outgoing Students

What are the different types of exchange programme?

Erasmus+ - enables you to study or work abroad as part of your degree, and staff to teach or train in various European countries. Find out more about Erasmus+.

ISEP - the first global student exchange consortium, is a worldwide network of over 300 higher education institutions in 50 countries cooperating to provide affordable access to international education for a diverse student population. Find out more about ISEP

Will my exchange period contribute towards my degree classification? 

Erasmus+ - in most cases you'll receive a mark for the work you undertake whilst on exchange which will contribute to your overall degree classification. Please speak to your subject exchange coordinator and subject tutor for details. 

ISEP - your exchange visit will be recognised on your final transcript at the end of the academic year and you'll also receive a transcript from the institute you have visited, but the marks you receive won't contribute towards your overall degree award.

Can I go on an exchange programme? Providing you're a full-time student on the second stage of your course you should be able to take part (unfortunately, because of the RIBA accreditation, architecture students are not permitted to participate on the exchange programme). 

Who else should I notify about my decision to go on exchange apart from the programmes office? You must keep your programme exchange coordinator and/or subject tutor well informed of your decision to take part in the programme. They'll be able to provide you with important information regarding your visit as well as ensuring that you're clear about the work you'll have to undertake.

Will I need a passport? Yes, a valid up-to-date passport for the full duration of your visit is essential to travel abroad. If you're an International student from outside Europe, please email artshum.exchange@plymouth.ac.uk and a member of the programmes team will look into your current student visa to ensure you're eligible in another overseas institution.

Will I be eligible for a bursary? Students undertaking an ISEP or Programme Specific Bilateral Agreements outside of the Erasmus+ remit won't be eligible for a bursary. If you're participating on the Erasmus+, there's good chance you'll be able to receive a bursary.

Contact Alana Hunter at international.office@plymouth.ac.uk to ask about bursaries. If you're eligible, you'll need to provide your bank account number and sort code before you travel. If you don't, you could be at risk of missing out on some of your entitled bursary.

Do I need insurance? Once your place on the exchange programme is confirmed you should;

  • consider personal accident cover and cover for your personal possessions
  • consider medical insurance cover.

If you're visiting a country in the European Union you should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. Apply for the card free of charge on the official EHIC website. Other, unofficial websites may charge you if you apply through them.

If you're planning to study outside the European Union, email insurance@plymouth.ac.uk for insurance advice.

What should I do if I need help whilst I'm out on exchange? If you have any problem or concerns do not hesitate to get in touch with the Programme Office and/or your exchange co-ordinator/subject tutor. 

If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please email artshum.exchange@plymouth.ac.uk.