FAQs for incoming students

Who can come on exchange? If you're a full-time student at any university around the world you can potentially come to study with us on exchange. Our undergraduate exchange takes place in Stage 2, so you'll need to have completed Stage 1 to apply.

Please email your home institution exchange department to find out if you're eligible or contact our faculty exchange teams at:

Can I apply for Plymouth University accommodation? 
Once you've been accepted onto the course and have a University of Plymouth ID number you can apply for University of Plymouth accommodation

How do I get to  University of Plymouth? 
International Student Advice provides a pickup service from London airports for students starting in September. Once your application has been accepted we can send you information about this as it's released.

If you're arriving after the start of semester one or travelling to Plymouth by other means please see our location page for help on getting here.

What are the semester dates?
Learn more on our semester dates page.

How many credits should I take? 
If you're here for the whole year, you'll take 120 of our credits (120 credits = 60 ECTS). If your exchange is for less than a year you'll need to discuss with your home institution how many credits you need to take.

I have a disability, can I still apply? 
Absolutely. We won't ever reject a student on the grounds of disability. If you have a disability you're advised to put this on your application form, so we can make sure there's a support system in place for you to call on if you need it. 

What are the English language requirements? 
As part of the application we'll ask you what English qualifications you have, assess if we're happy with your level of English, and check that you're suitable to join an exchange. If we feel you'd benefit from an English language course we'll be happy to send you all the information you need to enrol.

Do I have to pay tuition fees? 
This will depend on the type of exchange you come to University of Plymouth on. You'll need to discuss your tuition fees with your home institution.

Once I complete my studies at University of Plymouth, when will I get my transcript? 
We hold our Assessment Panels and Boards in June every year and results are normally published in the first week of July. Transcripts will be sent to your home address. If you need the result before then we can supply a provisional certificate to your home institution.

What are the exchange application deadlines?

  • 31 May for semester one
  • 18 October for semester two

Applications submitted after this time may be considered in discussion with us. Please email the relevant faculty exchange team for more information.