Postgraduate taught students

What do I need to do during the taught period?

Please ensure you attend everything as required by your course, including lectures, seminars, in class tests, lab or fieldwork and one to one meetings. You must also submit coursework within the given deadlines and attend all exams and other assessments associated with your course. 

What should I do if I experience problems?

Speak to an advisor in ISA or email the compliance team, as soon you are experiencing problems.

What do I need to do during the dissertation period?

You are expected to remain at the University, working on your dissertation and having regular meetings with your supervisor, at least once a month. 

The dissertation period is not a holiday period so you must only work as per the restrictions printed on your visa, and cannot undertake an internship or other work if it exceeds this limit. 

What should I do if I experience problems?

If you wish to work on your dissertation from your home country, you must inform the compliance team before you leave the UK. We may need to stop sponsoring you under Tier 4 so you must inform us before you leave.

What will happen if I do not attend or my attendance/engagement is not satisfactory?

Your engagement is monitored from a range of data sources and if no engagement or attendance is recorded for you, or you are not engaging satisfactorily, your Faculty will be contacted and asked to confirm your recent engagement, and record this in University systems as appropriate.

If you have not been engaging with your course and this does not improve then the situation will be escalated. A meeting will be arranged with you, representatives from your Faculty, the compliance team and ISA. This meeting may result in your interruption or withdrawal from your programme, dependant on how much of your course has been missed.

If you are withdrawn or interrupted from your programme due to poor attendance you would be required to leave the UK, and depending on the reasons for your non-attendance, the University may not be prepared to sponsor you again under Tier 4.

Therefore it is very much in your interest to ensure that you are engaging with your course fully, and that you seek help early if you experience problems.