Sponsorship can help you study for a Navigation and Maritime Science degree, and follow an accredited pathway to an Officer of the Watch (OOW) Certificate of Competency.

For OOW (unlimited) certificates you normally gain the required sea time with service on board merchant vessels. This is usually only available with sponsorship from a shipping company offering officer training cadetships, or through MCA recognised training providers who work on behalf of a number of shipping companies. There are two ways this can be achieved:

Full sponsorship for OOW (unlimited)

You are sponsored by a shipping company or training provider for the duration of the degree (sometimes known as a cadetship). The shipping company effectively employs you over the training (degree) period, and will usually cover the cost of university fees, professional courses, and pay a salary.

Mixed mode funding for OOW (unlimited)

With mixed mode funding you may be offered an alternative sponsorship package by a shipping company or training provider. This would normally be offered during stage 1 or 2 of the programme. These opportunities are advertised as and when they arise.  

The package will provide sea time opportunities on merchant vessels and cover the cost of professional courses, with help toward university fees and living costs.

These packages can only be offered to students provided they have achieved the thresholds required in modules and assessments and remain on the accredited pathway.

Full sponsorship or mixed mode funding for OOW (yacht up to 3000gt)

Although sponsorship packages are occasionally available, in the super yacht industry it is usually up to the individual student to arrange their own sea time opportunities on vessels. This is often conducted through crewing agencies, or by applying for seasonal work on board a particular vessel.

For more information visit Merchant Navy Training Board website and the Careers at Sea website.

The Careers at Sea website gives the following advice:

“If you’re an EU citizen ordinarily resident in this country, you can apply for sponsorship from UK companies. They’ll ask you to provide your UK address – somewhere you’ve lived for about a year. Officer training sponsorship is usually only available to EU citizens living in the UK.”
For more details visit the Careers At Sea website