All appropriately qualified candidates will be given equal consideration during the selection process. Plymouth University does not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of gender, ethnicity, colour, disability, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant distinction.
- All applicants are required to have GCSE mathematics, English language and science at grade C or above. Equivalent qualifications may be considered.
- A level Grade B in a related subject or evidence of participation in physical activity.
- BTEC DMM in a subject relevant to the specialism or evidence of participation in physical activity.
- 28 IB points to include 5 points in a relevant subject at Higher Level or evidence of participation in physical activity.
- Pass Access to HE Diploma with at least 33 credits at Merit or Distinction including 15 Level 3 credits in a relevant subject or evidence of participation in physical activity.
- All applicants to BEd Primary programmes are expected to have a minimum of two weeks recent observation experience in mainstream, UK primary schools.
- English language requirements.
BTEC National Diploma modules
If you hold a BTEC qualification it is vital that you provide our Admissions team with details of the exact modules you have studied as part of the BTEC. Without this information we may be unable to process your application quickly and you could experience significant delays in the progress of your application to study with us. Please explicitly state the full list of modules within your qualification at the time of application.
- All candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory DBS (formerly CRB) Enhanced Disclosure, register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority and complete a criminal convictions self-declaration form.
- All candidates must be deemed fit to teach.
- All candidates must be able to reflect on some significant experience (a minimum of ten days) in a relevant educational setting(s).
ITT (Initial Teacher Training) skills tests
All applicants need to pass the ITT (Initial Teacher Training) skills tests by 1 August prior to entry onto the course.
Full details about these tests can be found on the Department of Education website
. You may find the sample tests on this site useful.
An interview is a pre-requisite for entry onto this programme
All candidates apply to join a subject specialism pathway and are interviewed in depth by a representative from that subject team. Interview days are conducted by the programme lead representative and include a practising teacher who represents the wider partnership and offers an employer perspective on suitability for the profession. Find more information about interviews in the Institute's Interview pages
For a full list of all acceptable qualifications please refer to our tariff glossary